Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Time To Replace MP40 But With What?

I've had terrible luck with 3 out of 4 Vortech MP40s. I think they have great features and I like the design but way too noisy and the reliabilty IMO sucks. I had one of the two I now have die today (a cheap easy fix though) and i'm tired of dealing with them. Has anybody switched from the Vortechs to something else and are you happy with your decision? I'm going to keep running one MP40. Kinda thinking Tunze Nano Wavebox. Has to be put on back glass as my tank is a half circle shape. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I've had terrible luck with 3 out of 4 Vortech MP40s. I think they have great features and I like the design but way too noisy and the reliabilty IMO sucks. I had one of the two I now have die today (a cheap easy fix though) and i'm tired of dealing with them. Has anybody switched from the Vortechs to something else and are you happy with your decision? I'm going to keep running one MP40. Kinda thinking Tunze Nano Wavebox. Has to be put on back glass as my tank is a half circle shape. Thanks
I run all Tunze products and they are great! If you are wanting to supplement existing power heads the wavebox is a great choice. It creates a steady back and forth motion everywhere in the tank. It really helps keep debris from settling on the bottom. Plus if you have soft corals, watching them sway is mesmerizing!

If you want to replace the vortechs though you'll need stream pumps. A pair of Nanostream 6055's or 6095's with a 7096 controller would be a good start. You'll get similar flow modes plus you could add 2 more pumps later or a wavebox to complete your circulation system.

Personally I have 4 6055's and a Nano wavebox running together in my 165 gal. They are great pumps that are silent and go forever! I only clean them when I can't see the grills anymore due to coralline buildup, maybe once a year? The wavebox needs a bit more attention, it get a dismantle and vinegar dip maybe twice a year when it starts to get noisy.

Tunze's aren't cheap but your get what your pay for with no gimmicky extras.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I have the exact same experiences with MP40's.

I love the features & the flow they make but ended up replacing them with 6095's & a multi controller.

I've not missed the reef crest mode that I normally used as I found the Tunzes give me more flow than I need (I run them an 45% max.) and the customisation that the multi controller gives (via USB to a laptop) me enough control to do whatever I need it to.

Go for the Tunze's & your wont regret it.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Love Tunzes! DO IT!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

I always wanted to get a Vortech pump until I borrowed one from my friend and put it in my tank for one day... It was too loud for my liking as you said, now I am glad I didn't buy it in the first place. Go with Tunze, you never regret it ! Quiet and reliable. I have a pump that has been running for over 5 years, all I need to do is clean it about twice a year.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Personally I'd avoid the wavebox if you're noise sensitive, I think if you find the vortechs too noisy the same could be said about the waveboxes. A couple Streams will be better in terms of reliability and noise, they can still generate wave patterns depending how you run them.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I've owned a pair of used full-sized waveboxes and a used nano. I found the large units to be far louder while I couldn't hear my nano at all and this was in my livingroom. as with any of these pumps your mileage may vary i guess.

a wavebox can't replace your mp40 but it is a nice touch.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I'm using two 6105's on my frag tank because I wanted a quick fix for some alternating flow. I still prefer Oceans Motions units but in your instance that would mean having to do a lot of plumbing.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I've owned a pair of used full-sized waveboxes and a used nano. I found the large units to be far louder while I couldn't hear my nano at all and this was in my livingroom. as with any of these pumps your mileage may vary i guess.

a wavebox can't replace your mp40 but it is a nice touch.
I agree, I love my nano wavebox, hardly hear any noise from it and it is set up in my bedroom. It also can give my tank a good 1 inch sway back and forth, my corals love it.
I don't know how big is your tank, but I found the 6055 pump is a bit weak, I'd prefer 6095 and up, for making stronger flow across the tank.

Last edited by Casey8; 03-29-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

just get a euroreef with a sedra pump and a dart pump and you won't have to worry about noise from the wavebox I sure can't hear mine!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.