Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

With the bigger tank, I've tried a few things with the phs and lights. My biggest concern is enough flow throughout the tank. I'm going to unsync the phs from the lights and not use night mode for a while, keep the flow the same 24 hours a day. Regarding the noise, the phs are nowhere near as noisy as the rest of the tank equipment so I'm not concerned. For the waves, I think I would need 2 more mp40s but I'm not sure this would be the best flow for the tank anyway.

I believe my phs are in sync, not anti sync. I just use the online manual as mine are in boxes in the basement, but I can admit I'm not a very techie person so not one for fidgeting too much with things.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 AM

regent2009 is on a distinguished road

mine is 180g same as ur size. i use 2 mp40 on pink mode (sync both with 90% power). flow-wise seems working fine with me.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

I have 4 mp40.. two on side are sync and run at tidal swell at 100%, and two on the back wall runs on short pulse @ 100%.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I believe my phs are in sync, not anti sync. I just use the online manual as mine are in boxes in the basement, but I can admit I'm not a very techie person so not one for fidgeting too much with things.
To get any kind of wave with two MP40s they will need to operate in anti-sync in the Short Pulse mode, that is, while one is ramping up, the other is ramping down. To do this they have to be in a master/slave group so that they communicate with each other. With the EcoSmart drivers and pumps postioned for a typical rectangle tank, opposite each other, the dial on the master will show the colour of whatever EcoSmart operational mode you are using, NTM, TSM, etc. The first slave on the opposite side of the tank should show an orange dial colour. If you have one on the back in the same master/slave group it's dial should light up turquoise. In any EcoSmart mode, there is no sync/anti-sync option, each pump is set up with a certain colour based on where it is located on the tank. The EcoSmart modes themselves take care of changing speeds depending on the EcoSmart mode selected.

If you were to use a second MP40 next to the master on the same side, you would set it up in sync so that they both push water at the same time. In this case, this slave would show a white coloured dial (sync). Sounds complex, but EcoTech has actually taken much of the guesswork out of setting up the pumps effectively with the EcoSmart drivers. A good short explanation of this is on page 32 of the online manual.

I printed a copy of the full instructions so I don't need to fire up a computer every time I need to refresh my memory, which is often. It's also a very useful reference for someone that may be looking after your tank when you're away. Techie or not, these pumps have a ton of options & if you own one or more, it's very worthwile to do your best to become familiar with what they can do. After all they cost a few $$$s more than your typical powerhead so you may as well get the bang for your buck.

Last edited by mike31154; 08-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

oops, double post. Sorry. Very untechie of me!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. I have an ipad so very easy to upload and read through the manual when its needed. Agreed the pumps are capable of more than what I've got them set to, only way to become techie is to fidget until I get things where they need to be. I don't think my tank is healthy at the moment and I'm trying to find the right balance with flow, filtration, and dosing but remembering its only been running since March so still new tank syndrome.

Right now, they are set on reef crest and the slave pump dial shows white, so they are in sync set to 100%. I'm wondering if I need another power head. The Ecotech's have options for flow obviously, hard to answer which is the best as each tank is different.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I have a pair of MP10s in my 75g, but the concept is the same and I can get a decent wave.
Once the wave is set in Short Pulse Mode, the EcoSmart settings will use the wave you saved.
If you haven't already done so - I set my wave up per the manual as follows;
In Short Pulse Mode ( Blue ), set the speed to max on both drivers ( be careful as you can get a huge wave going with the pump speeds set to max ), then press the Set ( Center ) button and the pumps should start pulsing left/right, if they are communicating properly.
Now watch the tank for a few minutes. If you don't get a wave with the master set to around 9 LEDs, try 10, or 8 - you get the idea. This is the pulse speed you are setting.

So, once you get a wave going that you like, and is safe for the tank, press and hold the Set button on the master. The LED will flash some funky colors at you and then start 'breathing'.
Once you have learned this, you can further fine tune your wave by starting off in SPM with the max speed re-adjusted, find a wave, and save it. It will only save one wave, so make a note of how you set the one you liked most.
Now, in one of the EcoSmart modes ( I use NTM ) your wave will happen
Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 PM

rocksteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default setting

i have 2 mp40 on either end of tank at full anit sync and a mp10 at full on rear center , running in ntm
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 AM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

Mine are in "anti sync reef crest" mode, at 100% during the day, and turn to
"sync sleep" mode, at 50% at night. The coral love it, and the fish get a break at night. I have it also set to a 20min, "feed mode" for feeding.