Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road
Default Coral ID

i got some rock to seed my tank about a year ago and i noticed this small bright green dot watched it for a long time waiting for it to get big enough to get an id its about the size of a dime and it looks like it has feeder tentacles so im thinking lps but i just cant tell this is a macro shot best i could get with min knowlage of cameras ignore the aiptasia lol

Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

It looks very similar to a hitchhiker I ended up with in my tank. Some sort of mushroom or anenome that spreads like crazy - I literally have hundreds of them now. Unless you want it to spread throughout your reef I would take measures now and get rid of it while you can.

Greg
Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM

High tide is on a distinguished road

Try and make it close up and see what it does. If it purses up, it's a mushroom. If it shows a skeleton, it's an lps. It still won't give you a specific ID but at least it'll give you a starting point.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

If there's feeder tentacles it could be majano anemone, if it is get rid of them fast as they spread in plague proportions.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
It looks very similar to a hitchhiker I ended up with in my tank. Some sort of mushroom or anenome that spreads like crazy - I literally have hundreds of them now. Unless you want it to spread throughout your reef I would take measures now and get rid of it while you can.
Wish it would spread and kill those dam pesky brown Paly/ zoas now those spread like crazy lol
How long did it take to spread? It has been a year since i first noticed it
I'm pretty sure (although not 100%) its not a majano I have had them before and they looked a lot diff then this guy, u would think I would have more then one after a year it also has some wicked green floresence to it and my majanos were a dullish green not floresent
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

I have some of these also. As Greg mentioned they reproduce quite rapidly, and when they attach to a rock they are very hard to remove. Mine came in as a hitchhiker on a coral base. Now I have about 20 of them scattered throughout my tank.
People tell me that they are mini maxes but I thought mini maxes were bigger in diameter, as these are the size of a loonie/toonie I wonder if there is a market for them
Here are the ones I have...

As compared to a mini max that I have, three inch diameter...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyd72 View Post
I have some of these also. As Greg mentioned they reproduce quite rapidly, and when they attach to a rock they are very hard to remove. Mine came in as a hitchhiker on a coral base. Now I have about 20 of them scattered throughout my tank.
People tell me that they are mini maxes but I thought mini maxes were bigger in diameter, as these are the size of a loonie/toonie I wonder if there is a market for them

There is definitely a market for Maxi Minis.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Big_Al is on a distinguished road

They don't look much like maxi minis to me but I would be interested in a couple if the opportunity came up.

Quote:

Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:

mini minis maybe??? they dont get mucg bigger than a toonie
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes those are the same as what I have and they move fast and seem to want to move toward anything new in the tank and attach to them. They are a PITA. Get rid of them while you just have 20 because in another year you'll have hundreds.

Greg