Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I missed it, but did you get your scrubbing pads and manage to get the scratches out of the tank?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I didn't have a fish "wish list" when I began to get fish...but I've been doing this long enough to recognize something interesting/appropriate when I see it. Also...having a very large tank, I'm fortunate that I can now purchase some things that were off-limits before.

Sometimes, I get it wrong. I just purchased a juvenile Naso from JL because I was certain it was NOT Naso literalus....but I was wrong. Now...he needs to find another home because I already have Naso elegans...I was hoping I had found Naso unicornis because it is almost impossible to tell them apart when they are young.

I kind of regret purchasing the Foxface...Now, I'm wishing I had held out to find a Magnificent Rabbitfish instead. So...sometimes I do the same thing as all of us...buy a fish without a lot of forethought.

Now that I'm having to be more selective about additional fish, there is a list. (I'm not going to share it, so don't ask...!) The Atlantic Blue Tang was on the list, but I got one of those a few weeks ago.
Do you find your atlantic blue tang a shy fish? Mine seems sort of shy, mind you he is new in the tank two days..but he will not leave the Tomini Tangs side. They are like best buddies, swim everywhere together.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
Do you find your atlantic blue tang a shy fish? Mine seems sort of shy, mind you he is new in the tank two days..but he will not leave the Tomini Tangs side. They are like best buddies, swim everywhere together.
I was certainly afraid for his safety when I first added the Atlantic Blue. Achilles was brutal to the White Cheek Tang...but the Altantic Blue got off easy. I think Achilles was just too busy to notice. Would only eat mysis for about 1 week, but has since begun taking clam and pellets, that's when I know a fish is going to be OK. Mine is not really shy...but he's bottom of the pecking order due to size, so that kind of defines his personality at the moment.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 AM

Testing out a new camera.... Not advertising...but this thing shoots good video!

Hmmm...it would seem that Photobucket dumbs down the resolution of the video somewhat. Trust me, what you can see here isn't as good as the actual video which is 720P High-Def. (Each video is just a bit over 50Mb)

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Last edited by untamed; 03-25-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

They look pretty good even if the resolution is dumbed down some! They have a slightly sped up feel to them too, or are they realtime? It sort of looked like it might have been about twice normal speed?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:29 AM

I just timed viewing of the original file...then timed the viewing of the Photobucket version. The Photobucket version takes about 1 second less time to view than the original. Very interesting...you may be on to something there.

The tank was pretty active when I shot it. The fish knew I was there and they hadn't had dinner yet.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Bored....so I thought I would do some photography. It is good to just shoot the tank every now and then for no reason as it helps me to watch the growth.

Moe is such a willing subject...

Old 03-30-2008, 02:01 AM

There was a Lookdown for sale locally today....I so almost bought it. I've never seen one in person. Was so cool looking. New fish day is so stressful.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Well...I purchased two new fish yesterday. (addiction is tough...) I've got a pair of Orange Spotted Sleeper Gobies. The two of them share living quarters and seem inseparable, so I'm assuming I have a male/female pair.

You can see in the latest pictures, my sand bed is anything but clean. I've long looked for a fish or two that might do the job of munching up the sand. The cuke's do a pretty good job, but they just don't cover enough area fast enough.

These two have gone about immediately building a burrow. In fact, they've surrounded their new home with a good 3" or 4" pile of substrate. It is very dramatic the change in the tank that they have caused in such a short time.

So far, I can't interest them in any food. I'm sure there is a lot of stuff in the sand bed, but I sure would like to see them eating something that I can see.

When they sand-sift, they tend to just sit on the bottom and sift. They don't rise up in the water as they sift, so the sand is generally staying on the ground and not ending up on top of my coral.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Well...I purchased two new fish yesterday. (addiction is tough...) I've got a pair of Orange Spotted Sleeper Gobies. The two of them share living quarters and seem inseparable, so I'm assuming I have a male/female pair.

You can see in the latest pictures, my sand bed is anything but clean. I've long looked for a fish or two that might do the job of munching up the sand. The cuke's do a pretty good job, but they just don't cover enough area fast enough.

These two have gone about immediately building a burrow. In fact, they've surrounded their new home with a good 3" or 4" pile of substrate. It is very dramatic the change in the tank that they have caused in such a short time.

So far, I can't interest them in any food. I'm sure there is a lot of stuff in the sand bed, but I sure would like to see them eating something that I can see.

When they sand-sift, they tend to just sit on the bottom and sift. They don't rise up in the water as they sift, so the sand is generally staying on the ground and not ending up on top of my coral.

Cool Looking picture, I have a ladder glider that does the same thing...they really can do wonders for sandbeds.