Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-14-2022, 02:53 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Bingo
So why are you still moderating? Are you still being paid?

Reef Pilot's original post had me thinking of posting some things, but then your post made me think why bother. I was never a crazy active user here, it was always my second favourite Canadian forum - yes I am a kid of AP, back in the mid to late 2000s it seemed like most of the stuff here was west coast and AP was Ontario.

AP of course is long gone, I don't post on R2R anymore due to their bigotry but I am still active on other forums. While I do post in some of the facebook groups which are very hit and miss as I originally mentioned for this type of hobby the format of them is just not very efficient. Good luck searching for a post from last week, let alone last year or 5 years ago.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:59 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I’ve been a huge supporter of this forum since I joined way too long ago and it’s still my go to for many issues I face

Even though I refer this site to many new reefers they have issues doing some basic leg work and want everything handed to them on a silver platter these days. They have hours to spend on TikTok and Snapchat but ask them to read and it’s like you asked them to cut off their arm.

Many of the forums I frequented are either now offline or no longer updated and only the big ones like Reef to reef, AA and canreef seem to still have regular traffic on them but less posters.

As stated already Photobucket created a disaster and now unless you can directly load from your phone many can’t be bothered with uploading photos because of reasons.

As long as this site is here I will still visit and post. This is a place to learn to do things right not watch TikTok or read off Facebook and think you’re an expert.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:23 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusse View Post
So why are you still moderating? Are you still being paid?
Mods are supposed to be paid?

If anyone is interested in moderating, let me know. It needs to be done from a desktop.

Last edited by WarDog; 01-14-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:27 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

I look at the popularity of Reef2Reef and don't see how Canreef can be dead because of social media. It's lack of life and it starts from the top. Not the moderators, how do you moderate something that is non existent, but from the site owner. If you don't want to play in the sand box, that's fine, then give it or sell it to someone who will.

At this point vbulletin is so outdated it's time to abandon this site and go with a new platform. We just need to find the Canadian that's willing to take on the cost and work.

I try to stop in once per day just for the classified, however even those are going down hill and seems to cater more to people on the west coast. Now I am finding myself checking in every 2nd or 3rd day.

Can reef needs a younger leadership base who is more familiar with leveraging social media and YouTube, then it needs a newer and significantly greater platform.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:15 AM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road

Canreef has always been a great place to sell and trade coral, and get information. I wish i knew more about how to use the computer to moderate. Maybe we can promote the buy sell and trade aspect of the website
Old 01-19-2022, 07:19 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I sure do miss the glory days of the past. This Canreef was full of new content and a place where newbies could get some great knowledge. It does seem that saltwater marine in general is dying down, at least in Calgary. The fish stores seem to continually be shrinking down their Marine and coral sections. I remember that Q1 of every year used to be the busiest time on Canreef, with so many new members joining after receiving their first setup for Christmas.
Hopefully something changes and this site starts to get more traction again.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:50 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
I sure do miss the glory days of the past. This Canreef was full of new content and a place where newbies could get some great knowledge. It does seem that saltwater marine in general is dying down, at least in Calgary. The fish stores seem to continually be shrinking down their Marine and coral sections. I remember that Q1 of every year used to be the busiest time on Canreef, with so many new members joining after receiving their first setup for Christmas.
Hopefully something changes and this site starts to get more traction again.
I agree. I am in Lethbridge and remember making day trips. You barely had enough time to hit all the stores and maybe double back for that item you regret not buying. It was super busy and very popular. Now we would be hard pressed to make 3 hours depending on traffic in the city.

I think the hobby has gone underground. More basement and garage sellers, plus corals being easier to grow makes for alot of resell.

To me it seems the Brick and Mortar are so focused on trying to compete with the hobbies that it is a loosing battle for them. They need to focus on bringing in new, different livestock that the hobbies wants to buy, grow, and sell. Dry goods need to be more on point with online, if I can order and ship to my door for significantly less money than walking into the store then the hobbies won't shop there. The last thing, INCREASE SOCIAL MEDIA PRESCENCE. It's a 5 hour gamble when we come to the city. Did the stores get an order, are the tanks full, is it new stock? All questions Noone should have to ask with how easy and cheap it is to reach people in this day and age.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:01 PM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road

How do people become moderators or admin, what computer skills are really required? Do you need to know coding?
Old 04-05-2022, 03:06 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 04-05-2022, 05:39 PM

corallivore is on a distinguished road

I'd pay a subscription fee to be a part of a forum that was more active.

I may be biased because I don't operate on social media and don't have any.

I wonder if a lot of us would feel the same way.