Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road
Question Is this good enough for support??

So ill start my tank build later but I want your opinions on my support system please. I have a 6' 250g that runs with the joists. I made a support wall and stringers held on open side by 2 jack posts. The second is behind the furnace. All 2x8 with 2x4 for the wall. Its sitting on an out side wall. I had the spray foam guys spray the underside of the floor to help stiffen it up. Opinions please as I think its more than strong enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dave1.JPG (36.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg dave2.JPG (31.9 KB, 103 views)

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

Good job. With a 2x8 beam doubled like that supported with 2 jack posts you are golden.
Should be able to park an elephant up there
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Make sure your jack posts are screwed in and you are good to go. A structural engineer would cringe... but that'll hold the weight for sure.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. I know it's not pretty or spot on to an engineer but its the best I could come up with all I need it to do is help hold the tank up.

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I was going to do the same as you when I had my 125g
A builder aquaintance suggested a 1/4" steel plate of 6x6" or larger under the jack post
The wood you have under it may split and could be a bit larger to prevent the concrete from cracking (it is a concrete floor, ya?)

I also talked to an engineer. Because of the cost of liability I didn't pay him for his services. He told me he entered my flooring and weight specs into his formula and told me that, if I were to pay him, he would suggest the above idea as a minimum, but because I wasn't paying him, he wouldn't be legally allowed to tell me that

The rest looks great. All I'd add to it is some cross bracing between the new support joists to prevent twisting

Last edited by gregzz4; 07-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 AM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I was going to do the same as you when I had my 125g
A builder aquaintance suggested a 1/4" steel plate of 6x6" or larger under the jack post
The wood you have under it may split and could be a bit larger to prevent the concrete from cracking (it is a concrete floor, ya?)

I also talked to an engineer. Because of the cost of liability I didn't pay him for his services. He told me he entered my flooring and weight specs into his formula and told me that, if I were to pay him, he would suggest the above idea as a minimum, but because I wasn't paying him, he wouldn't be legally allowed to tell me that

The rest looks great. All I'd add to it is some cross bracing between the new support joists to prevent twisting
Doesn't make sense, a 1/4" 6*6 steel plate would be just as or less effective than the wood he has under.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What's under the jack posts? Concrete slab? If there are no footings poured under the jack posts the jack posts will probably crack the slab. When that happens the shift could cause failure. I've seen pictures of such failures.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Yeah point loading slab = bad. That's why structural engineers cringe but it'll probably be fine if that helps as it's really not that much weight. Personally would have build a wall in place of the beam and shimed it up tight under the joists to distribute the load.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Personally would have build a wall in place of the beam and shimed it up tight under the joists to distribute the load.
That's a good idea. You could build yourself a little "load bearing" closet right there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 AM

So I should just build another wall instead of the posts? From what I can find out the floor is at least 4" thick plus. I know I should have run joists and maybe tripled up but to much wiring and plumbing in the way for that.