Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

This is what I got with my 25. I'm not sure because I'm really not paying attention or care if the markings are good. bad or nothing at all. But if it gives anyone a warm an fuzzy to buy one giddy-up

Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 PM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

How's bouts koralia are they safe? I don't have one but am thinking I might.

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

I think the safest method may include a coffee stir stick
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 AM

kacairns is on a distinguished road

Koralia I have says on it "house hold/indoor use only"

I guess we shouldn't be using it underwater as that doesn't actually fall under "indoor" category
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 AM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
Ya, I also checked the UL Online Certifications Directory. The manufacture listed on the AC/DC adapter (Shenzhen Borasen Technology) shows no results. Jebao does come up with multiple certificates, but all are older and none list WP25, WP40, etc...
I found nothing either.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

ok I did a bunch of reading and in some cases if there is a problem caused by a non-CSA appliance then your insurance could be void, but doesn't seem to be much of that happening. one other interesting thing I did find was

"Provincial laws in Canada stipulate that electrical appliances connected to a public power source (commercial power source) must conform to CSA Standards."

so if they wanted to the goverment could come after you under this clause. and I did read in a bunch of places (ontario being one) that it is ileagal for a business to import and sell non csa equipment. probably a ton of exemptions for that one though, mind you I remember a while ago in victoria having to buy heaters cash only and they wern't on display as they were not "CSA" aproved. so aparently one vendor new they were not suposed to be selling them and didn't want to be caught, and for the record they were awsome heaters

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I figure if a fire starts, just point the pump in that direction, the flow will extinguish it for sure!!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:51 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ok I did a bunch of reading and in some cases if there is a problem caused by a non-CSA appliance then your insurance could be void.

Steve
I'd be less than impressed that if I bought something from a local retailer in that voided my insurance.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Interesting read, this thread. Seems we get a nice & fuzzy when we see the required label & code on something from a reputable company, but sound the alarm bells if we're not quite sure the source is or is not reputable. I have no idea what actually goes on at "UL", but it's probably safe to assume that they don't scrutinize every single product of a given manufacturer down to the last detail. They probably don't even disassemble the 'to be certified' item to any great degree. Nor do they go to the manufacturer's assembly plant to see what goes on there. If a manufacturer seeking certification for a product has done their homework & provides all the spec sheets & possibly engineering data for the product they want certified, the boys & girls at UL probably don't even look at it before giving it the green light. I'm just guessing with those assumptions & could be totally off the mark. But if they actually do all the tests required for a 'safe' certification on a sample product, what's to stop a manufacturer from cutting corners after they have the coveted label? The manufacturer is also at the mercy of suppliers of other components that are part of the assembled end product. Could get a bad batch of wire for the power supply they're putting together with the UL label on it. You could end up with a Monday morning or Friday afternoon power supply!

I guess what I'm attempting to get across here is that a UL or CSA sticker on an electrical component is no absolute guarantee that it might not blow up in your face anyway. Chances are probably better than with one of 'dubious' heritage, but given the dumb things folks do with electrical stuff, certified or not, (like fully submerging a 110 volt heater, control head and all, under water) some will burn their houses down regardless of a sticker. And the whole low voltage thing can be misleading as h. If you've ever taken a long metal object & shorted it across a 12 volt 120 ampere/hour battery you will know what arc welding is all about. Might not get a shock, but can start a fire just as easily as a higher voltage component.

So yeah, by all means have a close look at all the electrics you have plugged in, not only on your tank, but around the house. It's usually pretty easy to determine if it's a good quality product & safe to use. More importantly, use the item as intended, especially around water.

For me, the fewer things with electrical cords actually in the water the better. This is why I prefer EcoTech power heads over Koralias or Jebaos, even Tunzes. Not because of a sticker on the power supply.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I'd be less than impressed that if I bought something from a local retailer in that voided my insurance.
Yes, that would suck. But luckily the Jebao stuff has real certs so we are all good here