Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-19-2006, 06:25 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

I'll just add my two cents about Dell and NCIX.

Personally, I LOVE my dell laptop. Best money I have ever spent on a laptop. All other pc stuff, even for work; we order everything from ncix. Seems to be the best pricing in all of western canada, and you really get what you pay for when buying a pc. Perhaps check out the ncix forums for some advice in building your own system
Old 04-19-2006, 07:12 AM

seashells is on a distinguished road
Talking

I work in the computer industry and find Dell PCs are very good. Many small businesses are turning to Dell products. Not crazy about the laptops although they are pretty good too. Price and service is very good. I have spent more time working on HP and IBM issues than I would like. Every manufacturer have their lemon models at one time or another. In the last couple years 2 manufacturers have had a fair number of problems with their cooling fans and over heating. Another manufacturer has had problems with faulty motherboard capacitors. None of these manufacturers were Dell.

My concerns in buying a computer would be:

1. How long is the warranty?

2. How long and where does it need to go for service? ( do I need to send to Toronto for a month?)

3. Lastly is how much is it?

Just my 2 cents...Hope it helps.

Doug
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can build a machine for less than Dell and it would work just as well. I can build a $300 machine that can match Dell, but you really need to know what you are doing to do that. Its all in picking the right components.

Dell's customer service...is not reliable...like everything...you get what you pay for. The problem is that it is outsource to India...depending on which person you get...its good somedays...bad on others.

Dell got hit with the capacitor issue -- their Optiplex line was hit and it cost them dearly on the books.

One thing to keep in mind....CPUs don't amount to much these days. The slowest Sempron (2600 @ $80 each) isn't that much slower than a mid-level AMD64 3800 @ $380 each, but the price difference doesn't quite reflect that. There is a upcoming paradigm shift for Intel with a whole slew of new processors (dual and quad cores) and new socket for AMD (M2) to support DDR2. So....prices for existing processors will drop to get rid of existing inventory. If you can wait...I would wait for those sales to start rolling.

Some of the better stores in Vancouver are Generic Computers, NCIX, A-power, Frontier Computers and Anitec. Theres also tigerdirect.ca for mail order. Stay away from ATIC - better to shop at Future shop than ATIC.

- Victor.

Last edited by reefburnaby; 04-19-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

You could, of course, just buy a Mac and you wouldn't have to worry about any of this stuff.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefburnaby
Stay away from ATIC - better to shop at Future shop than ATIC.- Victor.
why's that?? i shop there cause they have the best prices in town that i've seen, but i'd love to know if there's something else i should know.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi fishface,

Most big stores price match, so lowest price shouldn't be the #1 deciding factor. ATIC is infamous for their prices, but also infamous for the lousy customer service, terrible waranty/RMA/return policy and intolerable attitude. ATIC is an expert store where you order parts over the phone (specified...exactly), pick the parts up, pay in cash and leave without a fuss. For most people, the lousy business practices can't justify the price and this is why I don't recommend ATIC.

- Victor.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

jebus, i can't believe atic is still in business, i used to shop there in the 80's and they had that belligerent attitude towards customer service even then. there are tons of great smaller shops that will give you great prices on systems and parts, most of them will either price match or come pretty close if you bring in ads or other quotes. i was surprised, there is a tiny little shop 2 mins from my place in steveston that had some killer prices so look locally and be informed and you can get a good deal.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Dell is a little bit hit and miss. I got lazy when I needed a new computer so I ordered a Dell. Been a perfect fit and a decent machine with no problems. So when my folks had needed a new machine I told them to go Dell, and it's been nothing but headaches and the tech support, now that it's all offshore, has been .. less than stellar. It's funny but I've talked to others who have had the exact same situation.. i.e., Dell was good for them but not so good for those they recommended it to.

Anyhow for the money and the laziness factor I'd probably go with Dell again, and recommended Dell just with the caveat that "it might work out well for you, but it might not."

PC's are just a tool. I'm Comp.Sci. but I couldn't be bothered to build my own system, not that I couldn't, it's just that .. well .. there are more interesting things to do with one's time. So my best advice is figure out your interests and what you want out of a PC, and build around that. If you like to tinker, go ahead and build your own. If you want to go with gaming, or multimedia, then you know what sort of hardware you need, and so on.

I guess I'm embellishing a little. I did build my own PVR out of a PC and I'm planning on rebuilding it soon. Once you go PVR for TV you will never go back. Holey mackerel what a difference that's made.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 AM
swami

Default Building a pc

The best is A-Power Pick out your components and they put it together for you. I have never had 1 person get screwed when I recomment then to A-Power. Cant say that about NCIX or Atic.
A-Power actually cares about people and will try to build you a decent system that suits your needs. I send all of my customers to A-Power.

BTW I work at Shaw cable and have seen my share of useless,slow,NEW computers.(several thousand)

A-Power first, then Anitec, then NCIX, and of course Dell if you dont know squat...they are the laymans decent option.

Future shop and Best Buy will sell you whatever you're willing to buy, so beware. Tigerdirect...good deals...plus shipping.