Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I completely agree... it's just so darn pricey, especially when you go online.. I mean your looking at 100+ just for a couple of test kits!!

So this brings to me a new question... if we're to be using the best of the best to test for ca and alk, shouldn't we be dosing with the best of the best (whatever that may be)... in your opinions what is the best to be dosing for the two?

Maybe if there is a dry good group order soon I can get a couple from J&L ... hmm
Old 10-12-2005, 04:22 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Do you know what kind of 250W MH are you using? 10K? 14K? How old are they? SPS colouring is also dependent on the temperature of your lamps.

IMHO, the Alk test from Hagen is alright. Its not wonky like their calcium and nitrate (according to Hagen...I have 0 nitrates....but I also have a calcium level of 700ppm ) As long as you are not demanding the absolute accuracy and you just want to know if you are in the right ball park, its okay. Its probably one of the few test kits that kinda work properly from Hagen.

Good luck.

- Victor.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Your other option might be to take a water sample to a LFS and have them test for you.
I would look to testing for nitrates and like mentioned ALK and CA and MG
Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

Adidas get the Salifert. Wai's has them yes they might be a dollar or two more but support your local store that supports you be getting these products.

Dave

If it works out and you don't have a test kit in the next few days I could do a drive by and test. I owe you frags but if your browning out you still have to wait... again.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

check your Alk, I find my SPS color fades when your alk drops. also as far as nutrents, less is more from my experence. when upgrading light you might get some fading but they will recover if everything else is good.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.