Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

A new year, and new beginnings...
I thought it was a perfect time to fill the tank with saltwater The husband completed his part of the project by securing the pipes, adding the back to the stand and pushing the tank to its permanent spot. So now he can go back to his spot on the couch

After a couple of days I added my first live thing - a ball of chaeto in the sump fuge section. Hope it likes the pink light. Then I moved over a few rocks and a bit of sand. The old tank is only 3 feet away so I'm planning to move things over in stages. I'm pleased to see the little sponges and feather dusters on the rocks are still happy. (I forgot to not expose sponges to air, oops) I'm seeing the tiny white things on the glass just as I did with the old tank. Never did figure out if they are pods or what.

I'm waiting for my new 32" SB Reef light to arrive to add to existing one. I have saved a spot next to the sump for an ATO container but I'm not sure what to use yet.
In the meantime I am mulling over plans on how to safely catch my little pistol shrimp as he will be one of the first to set foot in the promised land.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Looking good! Great idea to plan for some future adding.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM

I finally put the skimmer in. I made a stand with egg crate & per instructions letting it run without the cup for 24 hours. I really love this thing. So red and shiny. And silent.

So I got a canary to test the waters as it were. I guess in theory all creatures are equal but I didn't want my own fishies to be the first in the new tank. He's a Springer damsel, so he's supposed to not be evil. Also eats flatworms should the need arise. Having said that, I'm growing fond of him already. His name is Neil. One small step for...

He's doing great. Hid for the first day & coming out to eat the next.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 AM

Lol... canary sounds more like new tankmate. FWIW... my damsel is actually pretty mellow and plays well with others. It could be that everything else is way bigger then him, but none the less he is super passive which is good.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Damsels are awesome!
Until they're not!

They're some nice fish, especially as juveniles.
As they grow, most tend to become more dull and aggressive.

Best of luck with yours, I have kept a few myself.

New set up looks like it's coming along nicely!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 PM

Well, this Springer's damsel is supposed to be the most mild-mannered, but who knows. All my fish are pretty assertive, and everyone treats the mandarin like he's invisible (apparently he has a noxious slime coat), so I hope it will all work out.

So far, the Vertex has been easy peasy. After the 24-hour break-in, I put the cup on and adjusted the valve per instructions, and it's been silently skimming away. I do like to look at it foaming so nicely, haha. There's only a bit of crud collected as it's only Neil and 1 hermit

I think the chaeto ball has grown already but could be wishful thinking. There are pods all over the fuge glass though. Very encouraging!

I pick up my lights in Blaine tomorrow, so this weekend will be the big move. I'm making plans for how to transfer things over. A little worried about the fromia as he likes to spend time on the glass and the new tank is too clean. They are supposed to eat sponges, which are all over, but I've never really seen him on them.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 AM

Hahahaha you make reefing so much fun!
Following along...
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 AM

I’m interested in a lot of different things but I have to say this hobby is one of the most fun ever. Just now I spent 10 minutes on the floor squinting at the tiny copepods on the fuge before I have to tear myself away as the husband/kid have already started getting ready for bed.

I feel guilty sometimes as it does take up a fair bit of my time, as well as not being the cheapest hobby despite my best efforts to re-use & recycle. Everything from the old tank is being moved over, every grain of sand. Luckily so far the KISS methodology seems to be working for me, knock on wood.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:48 AM

Thanks Shao! How’s your build coming along? Btw I bought a neon toadstool from you a while ago and I think it’s splitting? It’s folding in and looks like it’s forming a little frag. Chi-ching!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

I'm too busy watching everyone's builds, no time for mine!

Yes, the Tyree toadstool is one of my favorites and it doesn't get huge like many of the other toadstools I've had.