Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

I also finally have a new tail spot blenny to replace dearly departed Basil. After hiding for a day, Jenny now goes all over the tank and gets along with the segmented blenny.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 PM

I might obsess slightly over the the puffers but they are such singular oddballs. On occasion, they will be frighteningly fat first thing in the morning. What could they possibly have eaten? First thing I check is the pistol shrimp. Nope, there he is opening up shop for the day. Hermits? All fine. Hmm... My best guess are giant amphipods (maybe 300 of them?) or 50 brittle stars.

This picture doesn't even capture how big his stomach is.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

You definitely need to keep a daily head count of your crustaceans with that little cutie.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:30 AM

One good thing is they cleaned up my vermetid snail issue. Only a few in places they can’t reach. My hermits & snails have been safe but the poor acropora crab lasted only a week. Definitely a heavy shell is crucial for survival.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
One good thing is they cleaned up my vermetid snail issue. Only a few in places they can’t reach. My hermits & snails have been safe but the poor acropora crab lasted only a week. Definitely a heavy shell is crucial for survival.
Vermetid snail removal I could use some of that. Just afraid of what else might go missing.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:21 PM

Default Black Friday goodies

Being the frugal hobbyist that I am, I've been looking forward to Black Friday for a while. I finally got a new powerhead (Tunze). Just as well , since my cheap Jebao is coughing along and the Koralia that I started with 3 years ago for the 75g died the same day I noted smugly that it was still working and the day before the Tunze arrived. Whew! I felt I needed to stand there stirring the tank with a wooden spoon! Yeesh. Anyway, guess I have to buy another one as I like the Tunze. Boxing Day sales?

I also got a new screen top. Really glad because the old one that came with the tank was all bent and kinda ugly. I've been looking around at different options including screen windows. I like this one because it looks nicer and fits really snugly because it has a lip and sits on top of rather than inside the rim. Not even an eel can get out It's a D&D Jumpguard. I'm going to jerry rig a little lid for the feeding window as soon as the husband can cut me a little piece of acrylic.

Not a BF purchase, but I was surprised to get an email from JL that a fish I've wanted since I got into the hobby was available. I was so happy! I've never seen it locally, only on US sites. Walt is a red spot blenny and he is the bees knees. I am crossing my fingers that he will thrive as his needs are similar to a lawnmower, which is one fish I've lost due to not eating He is scraping stuff off the back wall, which I leave alone for the pods and such, as well as the rocks. Hope he'll eat other foods as he settles in. I love this guy!

As stuff is growing, I've had to increase my dosing. However, I haven't tested frequently enough and had a bit of a dip in magnesium and calcium. I corrected it but my Red Dragon announced its displeasure the next day (while I was admiring Walt perched underneath)

While I mulled over what to do, the next morning another branch was white so I decided to frag off the live branches and pieced them together. I think this SPS doesn't really encrust but I hope it grows enough to hide my patch job Not sure how it will do...

Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Do you quarantine your fish?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:17 AM

A respectfully considered “no.”
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

I played Russian Roulette about 10 years ago, got velvet and lost everything in that tank, fish I had for 15 years. Sad thing was I usually quarantine but I wasn't set up at that moment and thought 1 little fish would be OK.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Frags have grown quite a bit so far . The new red spot is an awesome looking Blenny, I’m sure he will do well!