Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road
Default Frogspawn Not Extending?

For the last 48hours my frogspawn hasnt fully extended. It does slightly with the lights on but its barely noticeable. I assumed yesterday it could have just been a crab or shrimp running around irritating it but now im starting to wonder if theres a more underlying cause. I havent changed salt, lights (or how long lights are on off), powerhead current or tempurature. All other corals appear fine.

Cal 425ppm
Alk 10dKH
Mag 1260ppm
1.026 @ 80F

Im going to test for ammonia/phosphates tomorrow but other recent tests didnt detect anything.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road

Have you tested your ammonia levels? My friends wouldnt come out cuz a water change was in desperate need. Also maybe bulbs are getting old? Just idea's
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 AM

im going to do another ammonia test tomorrow. Last water change was thursday (5gal). I try to do regular 5gal water changes weekly. All 4 T-5's were bought new Jan 20/2011, thanks for the thoughts Lisa, Ill post the test results tomorrow for ammonia/nitrates

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

Old 04-17-2011, 06:56 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road

Ya for sure do all the water tests you can. Ones I always test weekly are ammonia, nitrates, salt level and phosphates
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi maverick, make sure that your frogspawn is not in direct current flow, they like a medium flow across from them but not a direct, direct flow makes them closed up. I have some that broken off the main branch and sits at the bottom with low light and they still are extended. Hopes that help. Regards Ken
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM

I moved the powerhead even further off the path of the coral so ill see what happens this afternoon, Lights are just starting to come on now. I did a few more tests..

Phosphate
Ammonia
Nitrate
all no detectable

PH 8.1

I was watching the cleaner shrimp this morning who likes to hang out in the shade underneath the frogspawn and he does poke around quite abit at one of the heads. I target fed last thursday with coral frenzy and really tried to get some of the mix right into a couple of the mouths of the coral. Im wondering if the shrimp might still be attracted to the scent and keeps poking around irritating the tentacles.
Its weird never had a problem with this coral closing up like this, ive had it for almost a year now.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Update - Its extending alot more than it did in the last few days. Hopefully this just works itself out.