Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Yep that's a good idea. Will a ~60g batch be big enough to give a good representation of the salt?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:40 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Yep that's a good idea. Will a ~60g batch be big enough to give a good representation of the salt?
Do you mean 60 grams of salt or 60 gallons of saltwater? If you mean the latter then that would be fine. The former would be questionable imo.

I'm not sure if TM uses Boron in their alkalinity supplement. There is also Boron in the Coral K Elements. I'm not sure I would be concerned about Boron at that level though.

Regarding the Mo - it's in the Coral A Elements.

I'm betting if you test your water with a Salifert Calcium kit you'll get a reading much closer to the Triton results. The Hanna Calcium Checker is notorious for giving false high readings - even if you're getting consistent readings. Also, if you're using the RO/DI water with 12 ppm TDS for the Calcium Checker that will throw it off too - you should be using distilled water for best results. My Calcium Checker is a shelf decoration and as far as I'm concerned that's all it's good for.

...And for the love of sticks why are you running old RO filters?!

Specifically read the part under "Deionizing Resin Depletion Issues" and make note that the DI resin is what takes the ammonia out of the city water here since Saskatoon adds chloramines to the water. Ammonia goes through the reverse osmosis membrane.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Gallons you meathead

Hans-Werner Balling himself has been emailing back and forth with me and has given me some good feedback. Like you said Myka, there is Boron in the form of boric acid in the K+and Molybdenum in the A-. The only reason I am concerned about the Bo levels is the Triton test analysis flagged it as dangerously high. Supposedly it will hit the fish and mobile inverts before the sessile ones. My fish, snails and conches are fine so far.

I will be switching over to a new Ca & Alk test kit once I get home. And to make Myka happy I will change out my RODI filters I get that the 12ppm could be affecting the Ca test. But if 12ppm is causing the RTN/STN problem... I will eat my socks. I used to use treated tap water quite successfully.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Gallons you meathead
Ok good. In my line of business I've learned to not make assumptions.

Quote:
Hans-Werner Balling himself has been emailing back and forth with me and has given me some good feedback. Like you said Myka, there is Boron in the form of boric acid in the K+and Molybdenum in the A-. The only reason I am concerned about the Bo levels is the Triton test analysis flagged it as dangerously high. Supposedly it will hit the fish and mobile inverts before the sessile ones. My fish, snails and conches are fine so far.
Triton makes up their own ideal and dangerous levels, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
I will be switching over to a new Ca & Alk test kit once I get home. And to make Myka happy I will change out my RODI filters I get that the 12ppm could be affecting the Ca test. But if 12ppm is causing the RTN/STN problem... I will eat my socks. I used to use treated tap water quite successfully.
I never said the 12 ppm TDS from the RO/DI caused the RTN problem. I'd like you see you or anyone else eat your socks though. For arguments' sake depending what that 12 ppm is, it could cause complete tank loss, but the chances of that happening from typical city water are pretty much next to null. The biggest issue with burned out DI resin though, as the article descripbes, is that the resin may suddenly dump ions that it has attracted, so theoretically this could be a really bad situation. In reality, it's not good, but it's typically not all death and destruction either.

It's probably the LEDs. (kidding)

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:44 PM

I will indeed take the company with millions and millions of dollars of equipment and more scientific knowledge that I hope to possess recommendations with a grain of salt Yes, that was sarcasm lol! I know nothing about Boron aside from its on the periodic table and it's in borax. Of course I am going to take their opinion. They have tested NSW and found average levels of which it only makes sense to try to mimic.

I know you didn't say 12ppm was causing the episode, I just like busting your balls.

And yes, it's the LED's without a doubt
Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I just like busting your balls.
Doooood, I froze my balls off my first winter in Saskatchewan!

What I was trying to get at with the Boron is that with the level being approximately double NSW that's not high enough to cause the RTN episode. Sure, finding the source and lowering it to NSW would be ideal. Fwiw, if you haven't come across it yet, Randy Homes-Farley suggests the Salifert Boron test kit to achieve a "ball park" boron level if it's something you would like to monitor without having to do a $60 Triton test repetitively. www.reefsupplies.ca carries it or I'm sure you could order it from Bayside.

Oh, and I'm glad that you realize it's the LEDs. I can't wait to see your tank with 400w Radiums! I would suggest you buy a second air conditioner for your home too.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:12 AM

Used my stemi 2000-C to catch a couple close up pics. Found a new acro problem...

Red Bug

People Eater

Rainbow chalice

Space Invader Pectina

Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Nice close ups of your corals
Best pic of a red bug I have ever seen
Old 08-05-2016, 03:04 AM

Jeez, you can't catch a break! At least you're still taking some sweet photos!

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Doooood, I froze my balls off my first winter in Saskatchewan!
Bioballs?

Syathanith I thought red bugs were all red, as I always say red dots wiggling before but my eyes aren't as good, maybe it's something else?
Or perhaps it's the zoo they eat that turns them red....

Those are awesome macro shots, I think they discontinued interceptor awhile back but there supposedly a replacement. I still have some from years ago.

Red bugs aren't as harmfull as those other flat buggers, gl bro and keep this pics coming!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 08-05-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef