Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM

redearslider is on a distinguished road
Question Looking for a Hydrometer and a canister filter.

Hey guys! Just setting up my first reef tank and have borrowed a friends salinity test but had to give it back, foes anyone have one they are wiling to part with or can sell for cheap that would be great. I also need a canister filter and might wait until next week. BUT if anyone has one they are no longer using OR will sell gfor a good price, let me know!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd keep away from canisters on a reef, they tend to not get maintained enough and will generate nitrates. They're more suited to a FW tank, or even fish only, but not a reef. Some would argue, but most would agree.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'd keep away from canisters on a reef, they tend to not get maintained enough and will generate nitrates. They're more suited to a FW tank, or even fish only, but not a reef. Some would argue, but most would agree.
I know and I have heard multiple opinions on this but I will not be drilling my tank to run a sump. and don't want a HOB filter as I will be getting a HOB skimmer.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearslider View Post
I know and I have heard multiple opinions on this but I will not be drilling my tank to run a sump. and don't want a HOB filter as I will be getting a HOB skimmer.
Assuming you're using live rock and a skimmer, you don't need an additional filter. You don't need a sump, just the skimmer and rock.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Assuming you're using live rock and a skimmer, you don't need an additional filter. You don't need a sump, just the skimmer and rock.

+1 lots of great tanks out there ran with not much for mechanical filtration.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Cool! Well I have the rock and a small fluval internal filter, 2 powerheads and a MH light fixture in there now, how mong can I push that before I add the Skimmer?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Cool! Well I have the rock and a small fluval internal filter, 2 powerheads and a MH light fixture in there now, how mong can I push that before I add the Skimmer?
I'd get rid of the internal filter, swap it for a powerhead, and some people don't use skimmers at all, I'd just suggest more frequent water changes.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Okay, thanks Brad!

still makes me nervous only running powerheads in the tank :\ But I will trust the experts

Another off topic question, some of the live rock that I got was pieces of Lava Rock, this seemed pretty unconventional to me, will this cause any issues? It looks cool because of the tunnels, and there are little creatures popping out of it just as the other rock has.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Okay, thanks Brad!

still makes me nervous only running powerheads in the tank :\ But I will trust the experts

Another off topic question, some of the live rock that I got was pieces of Lava Rock, this seemed pretty unconventional to me, will this cause any issues? It looks cool because of the tunnels, and there are little creatures popping out of it just as the other rock has.

anything you add to your tank including the rock eventually becomes live as bacteria colonizes on it. the more porous the rock the better the rock does with bacteria numbers, age is also a factor.

live rock takes time to become live.

powerheads provide flow and oxygen to your tank nothing much to do with filtration except for pushing more water.

a easy reeftank basically has ample flow, bright lighting, good quality liverock.

a skimmer and water changes are an easy way to keep the basic reef clean and water clean
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Just a guy..

Lava rock isn't the right rock. It can contain things you don't want in the tank. I wouldn't use it. You should be using anywhere from half a pound to 1 pound of real live rock per gallon.

Sounds like you might want to start a thread about your build and see what's going to work and what isn't.