Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

Looks promising
Old 07-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Coming along nicely!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post

Now that the stand is (somewhat) ready let's get that tank in here. Let me just say, damn that thing is heavy! It took 4 of us to get it in and out of my car and onto the stand and it wasn't all that much fun, but my crew and I pulled it off.
HUH??!! Did He say CAR? What you drive, a Hearse?? LOL. I need to see pics of that!!

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

This build is looking so good!! The tank looks great where it's going. Are you happy with the build quality? I'm always wondering because I haven't decided who will build my next tank yet.

In looking at your sump, I see you did something similar to what I did on my current sump (but on a bigger scale) and the first problem that I encountered (about 3 months in) was that acrylic doesn't stick to silicon/glass and some of my baffles started falling over. I haven't fixed it yet, but you might want to research what others have done to combat this.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Kien's just being modest. He actually carried the tank strapped to his back on his crotch rocket motorbike. I offered to help him carry it home but he was insistent he do it himself. At work on Friday he was using the tank as his coffee mug!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Looking good Kien. Definitely like Colby's work on tanks. I might go with him for my next tank, but I have a feeling that wont be for 4-5 years haha.

One thing your build shows is that I need to learn how to use my camera cause my shots look like garbage compared to yours.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
...Are you happy with the build quality?

.. was that acrylic doesn't stick to silicon/glass and some of my baffles started falling over. I haven't fixed it yet, but you might want to research what others have done to combat this.
I am very happy with the build quality. I have inspected every inch of it and it just looks fabulous all around. Polished edges are nice and smooth, silicone is nice and clean, walls are nice and straight :-)

I was somewhat paranoid about this too so I may have over engineered the baffles.. ie, I put gobs and gobs of silicone on.. hehe! That's why it looks like the baffles were installed by a monkey. Did I mention that there were gobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Kien's just being modest. He actually carried the tank strapped to his back on his crotch rocket motorbike. I offered to help him carry it home but he was insistent he do it himself. At work on Friday he was using the tank as his coffee mug!
LOL! nice :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
Looking good Kien. Definitely like Colby's work on tanks. I might go with him for my next tank, but I have a feeling that wont be for 4-5 years haha.

One thing your build shows is that I need to learn how to use my camera cause my shots look like garbage compared to yours.
Thanks! Ya, as I said already, I'm very very pleased with his work. It was worth every penny and let me tell you, there were quite a few pennies involved!

I'm looking forward to plumbing this bad boy up during the course of this week. Targeting Sunday to start water testing it.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
HUH??!! Did He say CAR? What you drive, a Hearse?? LOL. I need to see pics of that!!
Well, okay, it was a large car! Nissan Murano, with both the rear seats down and both the front seats pushed as far forward as they could possibly go! It was fun driving the tank home with my steering wheel in my gut.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Where are you going to be looking for most of your plumbing parts. I went to home depot and the selection was lacking a bit. Lots of copper parts and typical piping parts like 90 degree bends and 45s but some of the other parts are missing. I couldnt find any gate valves that were pvc and no ball and socket spray parts along with other ones I need for my setup.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Rona has a better selection of PVC than HD. You should be able to find most of what you need there. The only thing they won't have are gate valves if you are planning a herbie.