Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
summed up pretty good here . These guys are lucky they have not felt the wrath of early 2000's Danny
Exactly! I've been dealing with him since 2008, more in the past 2 or 3 years.

I have a sales background and know what it feels like to be docked around. I don't blame him or any other vendor for being short or not wanting to waste time with people they know are tire kickers.

He helped suggest me products to get my current tank going and pointed me to a couple AF products. I will keep dealing with him and make sure to stop when I am in the city. About the only thing I'd like to see more of in there is clean up crew.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM

rival10 is on a distinguished road

Always had good experiences at Wais.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:23 AM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road
Default Wais

I just wish mr.Wai would have prices posted on all the livestock and coral in his shop. I dont like to have to ask how much every fish is when I go in and always get a cranky answer.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 AM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigweldpro View Post
I just wish mr.Wai would have prices posted on all the livestock and coral in his shop. I dont like to have to ask how much every fish is when I go in and always get a cranky answer.
Exactly. I tried to help Danny with this by encouraging him to buy a label maker. I spent a couple days labeling everything just to have him hand write everything anyways when he got new stock and had to change the livestock or pricing. I gave up. I asked him how he felt about just writing with crayon directly on the tanks like other people but he didn't like doing it that way. Yes it was kind of irritating to ask all the time
Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 AM

Layottb is on a distinguished road
Default My latest experience with Calgary fish shops.

I realize the last post in this thread was from 2017. My apologies for resurrecting it, if maybe I shouldn't have?.
After being out of the fish-keeping hobby for several years, I'm getting the urge to get back into it. I've been to a couple shops in Calgary, and I wanted to tell my experience, and get some insight, or recommendations from you all that know much more than I do.
A couple years ago, I went to check out GOLD AQUARIUMS. I went on one of my days off, during the week. It appears I showed up on a shipment day, as I walked in, and was told they were actually closed that day. I won't say I was told rudely, or anything. Just that they weren't open that day. I was disappointed, but I understand. I haven't actually been there since.
Last week I went to Calgary and intended on checking out a couple shops. First I went to OCEAN CREATION, and sure enough..they were closed that day. Again, disappointment. I then went across the street to WAI'S and was(and still am) impressed by his HUGE Puffer! I looked around a bit, thought it was..ok. I can't remember if the customer he was talking to when I left was there when I walked in but..he never acknowledged my presence at all. So..whatever. After reading this thread, I'm not interested in giving him any business.
Next, I went to CONCEPT AQUARIUMS. When I got there, there was a little note on the door that they'd be back at 2:05pm(about 15-20 minutes from when I got there. So, I hung out and went back at that time. I waited around the door(cause they hadn't opened yet), until someone came out and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I read online that they didn't have livestock, and such anymore, but were just building aquariums. I was under the assumption that a person could still walk in and check out different builds and stuff. I was told, 'nope' and that to email them with any questions. From there I went to my last stop..PISCES PET EMPORIUM. Of course, they're a huge store so..of course they'd have tons of stock. I like how they have different aquarium kits to get back into the hobby. I started talked to one of the staff there, and she was very friendly, and helpful. I easily spent over an hour chatting with her, and asking questions. After I let her go back to working with the Betta's, I walked around a little more. I came up with a couple other questions, and asked one of the guy's. He was really cool and helpful, as well. I WILL say that I wasn't approached when I was by myself for several minutes. I walked past several employees and no one batted an eyelash at me. I would say that was a negative mark against them(in my eyes), however, Once I talked to the two people that I talked to..I wasn't VERY peeved. In saying that, I work retail and know how it goes. So, rather than judge them very negatively because of that, I just feel kind of indifferent. It's always nice to be approached, and feel welcomed but, I don't have a problem approaching a staff member and asking questions. I suppose it depends on the day. At this time..it's not worth me getting upset over. I have enough things to worry about. That being said, I feel confident that if I bought from them, they'd be reasonable and be able to help me with advice and questions(what I don't find on the internet, anyway). I'm under no illusion in that they want my $$$, I know that..but from what I've experienced at shops so far, in Calgary, Pisces seems like the place to go(at least that's what I think).
After reading all of that, does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Maybe I'm missing something, or there's a store, or dealer that I don't know about? YEARS ago, I remember going to Big Als, and thought that was pretty ok. I see that they no longer have a location in Calgary. That seems surprising to me. The other one I remember from years ago was Riverfront(?), but I know they're gone, as well.
Anyway, thanks for reading! I hope to hear from you reefers with experience with the Calgary stores!
Take care, all!!

Kennan
Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Sarabelam is on a distinguished road

I use Pisces mostly these days. I appreciate knowing they will be open when I go. Staff are generally quite helpful, but definitely not all of them.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Golds has a nice assortment of corals when I was in , I believe Dennis is growing out his own stuff now had a bunch of Hydras hooked up . Seen lots of zoas , some nice chalice corals . And his fish are always top notch , he had pearly Jawfish for $20 pretty cheap .
Wais is the best place by far in the city atm he gets all the new equipment / dry goods and a crazy amount of corals and you can find weird stuff there sometimes like bongo shrimp , dragon eels . Dont really do oceans anymore as he doesnt have the salt I need or any of the addatives and fish selection / corals are pretty basic IMO and Im only looking for cool rare things at this point.
Sucks Concepts Closed again . Dont buy livestock from pisces at all just get food and salt from them .
So pretty much Gold's and Wai's are my only stores for livestock
Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
Golds has a nice assortment of corals when I was in , I believe Dennis is growing out his own stuff now had a bunch of Hydras hooked up . Seen lots of zoas , some nice chalice corals . And his fish are always top notch , he had pearly Jawfish for $20 pretty cheap .
Wais is the best place by far in the city atm he gets all the new equipment / dry goods and a crazy amount of corals and you can find weird stuff there sometimes like bongo shrimp , dragon eels . Dont really do oceans anymore as he doesnt have the salt I need or any of the addatives and fish selection / corals are pretty basic IMO and Im only looking for cool rare things at this point.
Sucks Concepts Closed again . Dont buy livestock from pisces at all just get food and salt from them .
So pretty much Gold's and Wai's are my only stores for livestock
Thank-you for the advice! I take it you've had bad luck with Livestock from Pisces? Unhealthy fish, or high prices?? Golds and Wai's for Livestock, eh? That's good to know, thank-you!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabelam View Post
I use Pisces mostly these days. I appreciate knowing they will be open when I go. Staff are generally quite helpful, but definitely not all of them.
Thanks for your reply! I agree, in that it seems I won't have to worry much about Pisces being closed on any given day or a random trip to the city. How's you're luck been with Livestock then? Just asking, based off the other advice to get livestock from Golds or Wai's.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layottb View Post
Thank-you for the advice! I take it you've had bad luck with Livestock from Pisces? Unhealthy fish, or high prices?? Golds and Wai's for Livestock, eh? That's good to know, thank-you!
More to due to poor selection coral wise , and fish I dont risk getting from there unless I have a qt running , as all those tanks are connected so if 1 fish has sickness then its through most of the tanks . Price is never my reason I dont mind paying for a fish thats taken better care of at the lfs , thats why I like golds for fish he treats fish when sick and wont sell if you are not fit or the fish is not %100 .