Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Utterly frustrated with Tunze streams..

Vent/Rant mode on!

I think I'm just about done with Tunze streams. I seem to get about a year out of them before either the power supply or the motor block needs replacing.

Really tempted to look at Jebao as a replacement. Are people using these on their Apex? I'd like to look at something that I can just swap out without needing to reprogram the flow settings or use a different controller.

Any other alternatives? If it wasn't for that I don't want a motor block mounted on a viewing panel of the tank, I would have considered Vortech. But it's not really an option for me because of the viewing obstruction.

Also, is anyone still using a Tunze Wavebox these days? The one I have is on its 3rd or 4th dead motor block now. The cost to replace that is astronomical (almost $500 at J&L), so, it's either going to the trash bin, or I find some other way of getting it going .. has anyone tried retrofitting a different powerhead in there?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Jebao are great, work fine on existing Tunze profiles, are similar size and similar flow. The original Tunze lasted a long time, but the newer ones seem to not be as sturdy. I still have a pair of 6055 running, but when they die, I'll replace with Jebao. I currently run a pair off a cable that was custom made, but you can buy an adapter to run off Apex.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Perfect, that totally affirms what I'm wanting to do then. I might even be able to make my own cable depending on what it will look like.

What model(s) are you using? I've got 2 dead 6105's I'd like to replace. (And a stupid wavebox too, which I suppose I should take out of the tank at this point because it's just a stupid box taking up space. Do you still run a wavebox? At this point, I'm thinking it's just not worth trying to make that thing go again.)
Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I can create enough wave with pumps, don't need a box. You probably want a pair of RW20 to replace what you have.

Check RC for cable stuff, or I can PM you the name of the guy that made mine.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I can create enough wave with pumps, don't need a box. You probably want a pair of RW20 to replace what you have.

Check RC for cable stuff, or I can PM you the name of the guy that made mine.
+1 on the two RW20's.

I know I was on the high quality Ecotech bandwagon for a while but buying one of these has changed my mind. Amazing flow, has worked since day one and it was 1/4th the price...
Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

As a side note I have had stupid good luck with vortech MP 40s. I installed them Nov 2009 and they are still chugging away as well as ever. Ive heard tell the wet sides have a habit of only lasting a year. Mine are set at about 40-50 percent speed. Now that I have praised them they will no doubt blow up tomorrow.

Those Jabao's sound good I may have to pick one up.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

+1 for the Jebaos and -100 for the Tunzes!

Earlier this year I finally got sick of Tunzes crapping out too. Those suckers are expensive to repair/replace. For that cost I was able to get a pair of new Jebaos which worked great. If the Jebaos crap out in a year I'd still be ahead of the money game with a new pair.

I don't have any experience using third party controllers with them though, but never felt the need to try to control them with my Profilux as their controller worked great in wireless Master-Slave control mode. I have two at the overflow end of my tank that pulse and creates a nice 1.5" wave. If I had a lower waterline I would let them create a bigger wave but my water line is pretty low so the bigger wave ends up splashing against my euro-brace They do create an amazing wave though. I started with the R-8s but decided to upgrade to the 15s just to get a little more flow.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:12 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

The RW15s sound like they're playing a bad song running with jebao controlers. Controlling with my profilux now, but they keep stopping for no reason. If I unplug the network cable from the adapter and plug it back in they start up again. It's difficult to troubleshoot. Lots of flow through.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:37 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I have had The WP-25 and now a pair or RW-8 and never an issue with either

Last edited by jorjef; 12-31-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:42 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
The RW15s sound like they're playing a bad song running with jebao controlers. Controlling with my profilux now, but they keep stopping for no reason. If I unplug the network cable from the adapter and plug it back in they start up again. It's difficult to troubleshoot. Lots of flow through.
I never used mine with the controllers, but ramping from 40 to 85% now via Apex, dead silent.