Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 PM

_Adrian_ is on a distinguished road
Post DC pumps

Hey guys...

Quick few questions about the new DC pumps on the market...
I've noticed that a lot of people are swayed by the power savings and the quiet operation of these pumps. Price point wise, I'm seeing a lot of people using the Jebao DC series pumps and having decent luck.

I'm currently in the planning stage of a build and I'm wondering how well do these pumps do if left outside the water as my intent is to use two Jebao DC2000 as closed loop pumps as wavemakers and a DC9000 as a main circulation pump.

Tank in question is a Custom Acrylic 165Gal ( 53 x 24 x 30 Display Area ) with integral overflow across the full length of the back pane ( 53 x 6 x 6 ) where all the plumbing and the drains will be hidden and overall tank dimension will be 53 x 30 x 30.

Also does anyone have any information about the pin out of the pump as I'm also thinking about building a 3 CH DC Pump controller that has an Arduino friendly interface for control. This will be done through either SPI, I2C, CANBUS or even PWM.

Any input at this point is greatly appreciated!
PS: I will be posting pictures from SketchUp of the tank latter on tonight.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

My experience so far with a Jabeo DC6000 for a recirc skimmer is not good. Pump runs fine, but leaks. I've taken it apart several times to try and reseat the o ring, but it always leaks.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

These two pumps are marketed as submersible which usually means they have no way of cooling themselves and are not guaranteed against leaking. Take it for what you want but Fishstreet even specifically states "Internel Use Only! DC Pump do not suppose for External Use." I just copied and pasted the bad English.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 AM

After bit of research its looking a lot like a BLDC motor.
However what makes me wonder is if there are any internal drivers or coil direct connections ( plug is a 3 pin from what I seen in pictures ) however its hard to tell until one is in hand and verified.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the input guys

I did read a few of these earlier units had really poor controllers and no other external input for control. I also noticed that Neptune / APEX do have a "controller" but due to size I don't believe its a speed controller as well
Old 04-07-2015, 03:34 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
My experience so far with a Jabeo DC6000 for a recirc skimmer is not good. Pump runs fine, but leaks. I've taken it apart several times to try and reseat the o ring, but it always leaks.
I had a different branding of the DC9000 I think. It was nice when it worked, and then it suddenly died a year after owning it. I only ever used it submerged though. Was certainly quieter, but it was more a different sound (more like a propeller than the AC hum). J&L doesn't seem to even sell them anymore so I'd assume that's why.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I have a 1320 DC speed wave & controller and been using it for a year with no issues, the secret is to keep the power supply cool. BTW it's available for $75
Old 04-07-2015, 04:08 PM

roblarss is on a distinguished road

I have 2 of the speedwave brand (most of the pumps are identical) operating as a closed loop outside of the water for about a year. No leaks. Fairly quiet. I do have them wired into an arduino controller ramping them up and down.

I have gone through a few powersupplies (replaced under warranty). Keep them cool and they are fine.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks a lot guys !!! This is Great input here

DC pumps are still in their infancy, but they do prove to be more efficient and quiet.
Being able to control the speed / flow is a big plus for those that want wave maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblarss View Post
I have 2 of the speedwave brand (most of the pumps are identical) operating as a closed loop outside of the water for about a year. No leaks. Fairly quiet. I do have them wired into an arduino controller ramping them up and down.

I have gone through a few powersupplies (replaced under warranty). Keep them cool and they are fine.
Are you controlling with PWM through a FET ?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Adrian_ View Post
Thanks for the input guys

I did read a few of these earlier units had really poor controllers and no other external input for control. I also noticed that Neptune / APEX do have a "controller" but due to size I don't believe its a speed controller as well
Do you mean the Jebao module:

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...for-pumps.html

I believe they will control the DC pumps as well, there are youtube videos of similar DIY modules controlling DC pumps.

I would suggest oversizing and running them at less than full power.