Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Weird. I have all my original tunzes still working. I've only had one motor block and one driver box die out of the lot and they were a questionable setup when I bought them (modified or something). My wavebox is going on 8 years old.

Course now that I've said that they'll all die slowly over the next few months...
My original units, 6100 model, lasted about 8 years. But replacement parts didn't last, newer pumps didn't last, and the replacement cost was just too high to buy all new pumps. Even if Jebao die after a couple years, still the same cost over a 8 year period, without the initial outlay of cash.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
My original units, 6100 model, lasted about 8 years. But replacement parts didn't last, newer pumps didn't last, and the replacement cost was just too high to buy all new pumps. Even if Jebao die after a couple years, still the same cost over a 8 year period, without the initial outlay of cash.
Yeah its unlikely that I'll stick with the tunze once these ones start to pack it in. I'll be switching to the most economical flavor-of-the-month ones.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:15 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I emailed Tunze to ask why the titanium shaft in my 6105 corroded through. He said some of them accidentally got stainless shafts, but apparently they can be repaired. Still waiting to hear back from the Canadian distributor.

This is after the first two were replaced under warranty because the shafts came loose.

They say "made in Germany" but I'm not sure I believe it. My experience with German products is that they last forever.

BTW, I rebooted my Profilux last night, and the RW-15s have been running fine since.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:27 PM

spedly is on a distinguished road

It's unfortunate that some of you are experiencing, or have experienced, issues with your Tunze streams. I use them exclusively in my tank and everything about them has been nothing short of amazing. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
It's unfortunate that some of you are experiencing, or have experienced, issues with your Tunze streams. I use them exclusively in my tank and everything about them has been nothing short of amazing. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.
Oh, agreed, great pumps. My first pair cost me $1000 and lasted 8 years. I just can't spend another grand to replace them, especially after seeing some of the smaller units fail under 2 year mark. The original WP series Jebao appear to be short lived, but the RW I have now just keep going.
I also can't replace the 6100 series Tunze, and I don't like the design as much of the newer units. So, for under $200, I got comparable flow and control.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:27 PM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I also can't replace the 6100 series Tunze, and I don't like the design as much of the newer units. So, for under $200, I got comparable flow and control.
I here ya there. Is the Jebao as quiet? I've never actually seen Jebao in action.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I here ya there. Is the Jebao as quiet? I've never actually seen Jebao in action.
If I had to pick the quieter, I'd go Jebao. That said, my Tunze were very old from my last memories, and don't recall them bothering me ever.

Tunze, at least the older ones, just moved left or right, where Jebao are a bit more flexible in positioning. That's an important piece for me.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

My Jabeo are quiet. The one hummed then I took it out of the water a few times now all 4 are very quiet. I have no personal exp. with tunze or vortechs since I couldn't afford/justify the initial purchase.
I've had 4 running since mid July or so and cleaned one the other 3 haven't been cleaned and still move lots of water.
They were ~$175 /pair for RW8s to the door.
I'm happy with them I just ordered 2 apex Jabeo modules so I don't have so many controller looking thing on the stand.

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC