Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAddict View Post

I have read that yellow tangs need a MINIMUM of 100 gal. which is maybe why they are so aggressive in smaller tanks.

AquaAddict
That's ridiculous. By that logic, my dog needs 15 acres. Sorry, I don't mean for this to sound like an attack against you personally. I'm just calling out the tang police for being ridiculously overbearing.

100 gallons for a yellow tang... *shakes head*

Anyway, as far as aggression goes, fish are like cats. They're cats and then there's @sshole cats.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:15 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

At the risk of getting banned, you most regrettably did make a personal attack. So please, in your expert opinion, tell us what is the appropriate minimum tank for a yellow tang? I would also appreciate the reasons for your recommendation.

I would like to extend your "aggression" analysis to include dogs, humans, and most likely any other mammal. Every one has a unique personality from absolute submission to extreme aggression, so your cat example is moot. Put too many of anything in a closed environment and even the most passive will get aggressive.

Finally, if your dog is the size of a mature elephant, then maybe you need 15 acres. I have 3 dogs, two that weigh 25 lbs and one that weighs 11 lbs. I have a 2400 sq foot yard that is more than adequate for them (yes, they are also taken for walks).

Your hyperbole does nothing to your credibility. I am not an animal rights activist, and I do not treat my pets as human. However, I do wish to provide the best environment for them that I can. I have two tangs (tomini and purple) in a 220g and I feel that is sufficient for my tank. Others will see room for more and others for less. I do research the recommended tank minimum as well as the compatibility for any livestock that I add to my tank. I can learn from the experience of others, but that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
That's ridiculous. By that logic, my dog needs 15 acres. Sorry, I don't mean for this to sound like an attack against you personally. I'm just calling out the tang police for being ridiculously overbearing.

100 gallons for a yellow tang... *shakes head*

Anyway, as far as aggression goes, fish are like cats. They're cats and then there's @sshole cats.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Good Guy Albert

Whoa, exactly how I wanted to start my afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
At the risk of getting banned, you most regrettably did make a personal attack. So please, in your expert opinion, tell us what is the appropriate minimum tank for a yellow tang? I would also appreciate the reasons for your recommendation.
No, I was attacking the advice. Previous poster mentioned that they"read up" the 100 gallon rule. I'm criticizing their source, not them. And here you go: buy a small one, 50 gallons. Done. Got a big one? Get a bigger tank. Adjust your future livestock purchases in accordance with the personality of your fish. Take care of water changes and enjoy your fish for the next 20 years.

Quote:
I would like to extend your "aggression" analysis to include dogs, humans, and most likely any other mammal. Every one has a unique personality from absolute submission to extreme aggression, so your cat example is moot. Put too many of anything in a closed environment and even the most passive will get aggressive.
... Are you attacking my point or just attacking me? Because you've discounted my analogy using some pretty flimsy mental gymnastics.

Quote:
Finally, if your dog is the size of a mature elephant, then maybe you need 15 acres. I have 3 dogs, two that weigh 25 lbs and one that weighs 11 lbs. I have a 2400 sq foot yard that is more than adequate for them (yes, they are also taken for walks).
I'm not sure what your angle is here. Seems like it lends credibility to my argument.

Quote:
Your hyperbole does nothing to your credibility. I am not an animal rights activist, and I do not treat my pets as human. However, I do wish to provide the best environment for them that I can. I have two tangs (tomini and purple) in a 220g and I feel that is sufficient for my tank. Others will see room for more and others for less. I do research the recommended tank minimum as well as the compatibility for any livestock that I add to my tank. I can learn from the experience of others, but that is just me.
Okay! Glad you've preemptively disqualified anyone with anything less than a 6' tank from ever being able to properly care for their fish in a humane fashion. And sadly, that's not just you.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Guess I shouldn't mention I have a Yellow Tang in a 65.

Oh, and also
Old 02-03-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Whoa, exactly how I wanted to start my afternoon
Might have been worse. You may have read it in the morning.

Quote:
No, I was attacking the advice. Previous poster mentioned that they"read up" the 100 gallon rule. I'm criticizing their source, not them. And here you go: buy a small one, 50 gallons. Done. Got a big one? Get a bigger tank. Adjust your future livestock purchases in accordance with the personality of your fish. Take care of water changes and enjoy your fish for the next 20 years.
You criticized the poster for providing his findings. Where are yours?

Here are a few sites with their suggestion of a minimum tank:

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-spec...ow-tang-2.aspx "Keeping a yellow tang requires a very large tank (125 gallons or more)"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...92&pcatid=392: " Minimum Tank Size: 100 gallons"

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-YellowTang.htm "Aquarium Size : 55 gallon minimum but will do much better in larger tanks - think 90 gallons plus to allow for lots of swimming room. "

http://freefishfacts.com/the-yellow-tang/ "As such it is not recommendable to keep the Yellow Tang in an aquarium tank with a capacity below 60 gallons / 225 litres of water."

In support of a 50g:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/yellow.php " A minimum 50 gallon (189 liters)."

http://reefcorner.com/reef-database-...ma-flavescens/ "Yellow tangs are very good reef tank inhabitants for larger tanks of about 50 gallons and larger."

and finally from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow..._the_aquarium: "A 75-gallon tank or larger is better for a single specimen, while an aquarium of 100 gallons or 60" or more in length is ideal." (I do not consider wiki as an exhaustive source. Just wanted to show another opinion.)

My point is that you have criticized someone because they "read" about a tank size. I have no doubt that the individual did read it. However, you provided no position other than to attack a recommendation.

Your reply to me includes a recommendation. I suggest that it should have been included in your original post with respect to the recommendation. The tank sizes on the aforementioned sites would hopefully allow for comfort as the fish grows. I may not put a tang in a 50, but I have not had a tank of that size. Even a 55 comes in a 4 foot length which may be sufficient, in my opinion.

Quote:
... Are you attacking my point or just attacking me? Because you've discounted my analogy using some pretty flimsy mental gymnastics.
I don't see the purpose of your point and I am criticizing it. A cat is not a fish. A fish is not a dog, etc. So what is the purpose of your original analogy? Every fish is different? It does not add anything to your original comments, just like mine adds nothing.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your angle is here. Seems like it lends credibility to my argument.
If hyperbole provides credibility, then yes, you have a credible argument. You provide an analogy of dog vs real estate requirement. Your numbers are ridiculous. It just makes your opinion look a little foolish. I provided an example of a more realistic argument.

Quote:
Okay! Glad you've preemptively disqualified anyone with anything less than a 6' tank from ever being able to properly care for their fish in a humane fashion. And sadly, that's not just you.♥
Please show me where I said that a 6' tank is necessary. You cannot. I said that I am happy with my stocking level. Others will do different. I have had a yellow tang in a 90 and have no problems with this. In my opinion most 4 foot tanks are adequate.

In conclusion, your original reply to the minimum 100g tank was nothing more than a rant. People who rant, instead of providing reasoned arguments, are tiresome. I will rant about all things that are wrong, unless I agree that they are right.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 PM

I hear nothing. I wouldn't, but we all make different choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Guess I shouldn't mention I have a Yellow Tang in a 65.

Oh, and also
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Good Guy Albert

Lol... Will be back on my computer soon. You'll have a blast, promise
Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 PM

I probably wont. I have said my piece. I have nothing more to add.

Quote:
Lol... Will be back on my computer soon. You'll have a blast, promise
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Keep it civil please guys.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Fwiw, I have seen lots of the smaller Tang species do very well in 90-gallon tangs...Yellows, Tominis, Koles, Convicts. I find the Tominis and Convicts to be the most docile of Tangs. Yellows and he occasional Kole can be real a-holes. One of my clients had an evil Kole Tang that dominated a 240 - gallon tank with much bigger tankmates. I prefer Yellow Coris Wrasse (C. chrysus) for the bright yellow coloration in smaller tanks.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-04-2016 at 02:11 AM.