Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 AM

deputy1234 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review TJSlayer. I am thinking of ordering one myself ( thanks to your review) but I was wondering of you could give me a measurement of the skimmer cup and if you know how much water the skimmer cup is able to hold. The reason, I want to compare it to my current skimmer. If it is not to much trouble it would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Dany
Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

Not at home right now but the cup was about they same size as my euro rs100. I think I read somewhere that it holds about 3-4 cups of goo....24-26 oz or something, but it's a decent size, plus has the drain hole so you can hook it up to an external resevoir if you needed to go bigger (Hose is also supplied)

I'm very happy with it and it's been performing like a champ, easy to adjust and very quiet.
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSlayer View Post
Not at home right now but the cup was about they same size as my euro rs100. I think I read somewhere that it holds about 3-4 cups of goo....24-26 oz or something, but it's a decent size, plus has the drain hole so you can hook it up to an external resevoir if you needed to go bigger (Hose is also supplied)

I'm very happy with it and it's been performing like a champ, easy to adjust and very quiet.
Thanks TJSlayer,

I just put in the order tonight. For those who are thinking about it the price will go up as TJSlayer said. I believe it will increase this Monday the 22nd.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 AM

I'm sure you will be happy post your results here.
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM

I just received my order of the swc 160 cone skimmer. My fist impression is very positive. I’ve seen pictures and read about the quality of the skimmer but once I received the skimmer and see in person I am amazed by the quality and how well it’s built. With that said, it’s not the best quality, the seam in the body is noticeable (but barely) and I do notice some small imperfections but very minor. To be honest, I am comparing the quality of the swc to my last skimmer, H&S A150, but that is a $700US skimmer. I believe when I found the imperfection it was more because I was looking for it than anything that would stand out. For the price, the quality is beyond my expectations and it runs near silent. I’ve included some pictures but none with much detail for TJSlayer has already posted the detailed pictures.

Free T-shirt!!!

About 1min after I turned the pump on.

The skimmer is currently sitting in 9in of water. The reason being, after some research I found out that it works best in 9in of water

Direct quote:
"its peak performance is 9" where it pulls a little more than 700lph at 30w"

This is a quote from a vendor that sells SWC skimmers in the US.

Last edited by deputy1234; 03-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Default Re: NEW SWC Extreme 160 Cone review

They are great skimmers...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM

TJSlayer,
I know its breaking in right now but when yours was breaking in did the bubble level move up and down regularly?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 PM

Yes it did, lowering the water level help me keep it more predictible, than after a few days was pretty consistant...

I had a few overflows but I think all except one were cause by a large cowrie I had in my sump, covering either the inlet or the exit on the flow of the skimmer.

Hasn't been a problem since and is skimming a third of a cup of dark, dark skimate every day....

I have it set to run a bit drier simply because of the amount of stuff this thing is pulling out.....

TJ
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Thanks TJSlayer,

I left the valve fully open and I going to leave opened for a few days. Sofar everything is going well. Also, thank you for this posting the review, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't know about the skimmer.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 AM

No problem at all!

I wouldn't worry too much about fine tuning it for a few days, doesn't seem to take long to break in though....