Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Canada Corals

Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
So you passed inspection then? Or did he fail you for other stuff?
All the electrical work passed but we have 30-days to get our lights approved and then we are off the hook.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
All the electrical work passed but we have 30-days to get our lights approved and then we are off the hook.
Under electrical code or?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Vendor

We got all the glass delivered for the fish wall on Friday. It's going to be a ton of work to build each one, thats for sure.

We had some help from the crew @ Reef Wholesale to help us lift our 300g DD onto the 42" tall stand. Everything is framed up and ready for drywall!!!

Last edited by xenon; 12-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

Well what choice did you really have if you asked miracles to build your store they would have told you a hundred thousand.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Xenon, next time get your electrical inspection after all the hard-wiring is done and before you setup any over tank lighting. Your electrical should have been done long before you started moving in tanks, over tank lighting, pumps, etc. There is a whack of equipment that isn't CSA Approved that is in common use in Canada. I haven't heard of anyone having insurance trouble when non-CSA equipment has caused fires like in situations where water drips into a power bar. CSA or not, it's likely to cause a fire if it doesn't trip a breaker in time (yay for GFCI).

I hope you're almost ready to sell some corals! You have a long way to go to get in the black - that's a lot of frags!

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM

donkey77 is on a distinguished road

wow cant wait to see the end results
all that glass must have been a pretty penny wait they don't have pennies anymore lol
looking good
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Xenon, next time get your electrical inspection after all the hard-wiring is done and before you setup any over tank lighting. Your electrical should have been done long before you started moving in tanks, over tank lighting, pumps, etc. There is a whack of equipment that isn't CSA Approved that is in common use in Canada. I haven't heard of anyone having insurance trouble when non-CSA equipment has caused fires like in situations where water drips into a power bar. CSA or not, it's likely to cause a fire if it doesn't trip a breaker in time (yay for GFCI).

I hope you're almost ready to sell some corals! You have a long way to go to get in the black - that's a lot of frags!
I totally agree.

To be honest, I knew nothing about electrical code. I have learned a ton during this entire process.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I totally agree.

To be honest, I knew nothing about electrical code. I have learned a ton during this entire process.
Hehe, you need a buddy that knows a buddy.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 1st Visit..... 1st Impressions.....

I was VERY fortunate to receive a personal invitation from Dan and Isabelle (Isobel? - apologies for the spelling ) of Canada Corals to visit their store yesterday evening. Along with a few other invited guests; we were privileged to enjoy an informal tour and "meet & greet".

I would like to start off by Thanking our gracious hosts for allowing us this opportunity and for taking time out of their exceptionally busy schedules. They took the time to share their vision with us and answered all our questions.

I'm uncertain of where I should start in writing this "review" and sharing my experiences with fellow hobbyists and members of this forum. I guess the word that comes to mind if I had to choose one; would be "Impressive". "Wow" comes a close second. Perhaps more crudely put: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig4jbcU9db0

I've travelled far and wide for the passion of this hobby. I've been to retail and wholesale stores all over North America, Europe, and Asia. I've often expressed to follow hobbyists that we are VERY fortunate in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). The market here is exceptionally competitive and filled with seasoned, knowledgeable consumers and retailers. Each LFS differentiates itself by specializing in something. Hobbyists will go to a certain LFS for one thing, while they will go to another LFS for something else. Each LFS is "known" for something; whether it be selection, price, service....and if we're fortunate enough (sad state of affairs in any business); all of the above.

Only time will tell what Canada Corals will be "known" for.....but what I will say is this: This LFS impresses me. Think "deer in headlights" stunned. From the layout of the front entrance, to the design of their coral vats, to their quarantine system, to their anticipated bagging/shipping station.....everything seems to be very well thought out. It's not just the obvious fact that capital outlay for this venture was huge; but it is also combined with how logically things were designed. Everything has what seems a logical purpose in design. Hindsight is always 20-20 and I'm sure they would re-do some things if they could...but to the layman (me) the fit and finish was great.

The environment is clean but not sterile. It's inviting and encourages viewing of prospective purchases. It encourages customers to be "interactive"; to ask questions, to 'play' with the lighting of the coral vats so corals can be viewed under different lighting conditions. The lighting, wiring, dosing equipment, auto top-off, sumps are all organized and clean.

As for Dry goods (remember - the store hasn't even opened yet); there is an impressive compliment of high(er) end brands such as Tunze, AI, GHL, Fauna Marin. Not just one or two of an item.....but multiple quantities of each item. They will be stocked. They are still in the process of deciding and firming up what brands and quantities they will carry. Don't worry - I'm certain they will be carrying quality brands at different price points as well.

One of the most impressive things in their adventure is that A LOT of what you see has been done/made by them. The aquariums, coral vats, stands, renovations were done mainly on their own.

On a final note - it should be mentioned that I believe Dan and Isabelle will add a youthful spin to the "Reefing" LFS scene in the GTA. They seem very approachable and friendly. Modest and knowledgeable. I can only think of 1 or 2 that currently have that "youthful" edge or spark. I wish them well on this adventure and I'm sure they will help add and change the retail landscape in a positive way for hobbyists. Cheers.

Please find enclosed some 1st hand accounts/pictures taken yesterday evening. I'm sure they will be adding more pictures to this build thread. It will be very interesting to compare time lapsed photos.

P.S. - As always; my disclaimer. I don't work for Canada Corals. No special consideration was made for this review/post.

P.P.S. - There is currently no active contact number to reach the store yet. This is done purposely since Canada Corals does not have the time to check voicemail with any consistent frequency. A contact number will be provided when the store is ready for business. E-mail inquiries are currently the best form of communication for the time being.

Glass for Livestock Aquariums - yet to be built by hand:

Stand for Livestock/Fish Aquariums:

Photograph Station:

Isabelle, Hubert (Clownfish Man - Photo bombed? ), Dan

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Damn you red! Iam soooo madjelly that you got to see Canada corals before I did!

~Tony