Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update Kien, and great posts.

As you all know, many of us have been trying the NP BioPellets out, I am one of them. Now I am not as structured as Kien in my testing and presenting results, but can tell you what I am seeing:
1.) Even Cleaner water
2.) Coraline algae and green algae on glass is quickly dissappearing, leaving plain clean glass behind
3.) Cleaner araganite sand
4.) skimmer has gone from producing a green skimmate liquid to a very dark brown. I am thinking that this is indicating a lack of algae in the water column and tank and the skimmer is now just removing other wastes.

I personally haven't been testing my nitrates, but can see by the results above that these pellets do have a positive impact.

I am running 750ml in a deltec fluidizer using a MJ1200 to power/tumble to pellets. I am also using 1.5L of Zeolites.

I would recommend this product and have now ordered another 2L to stockpile.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
2.) Coraline algae and green algae on glass is quickly dissappearing, leaving
Aside from the noticeable drop in nitrate readings, this is the other visible change that I have noticed. I used to clean my glass of that green film algae every two to three days. Now I can seem to go 4 or 5 days before I need to do it.

As for corals, well, I didn't have any issues with how they looked before and they still look fine now with colour and growth so it is hard for me to compare the corals then and now. Maybe in a few more months the change will be more noticeable. But again, I don't really have any issues with how things are looking so I don't really know what I'm looking for :-)

In the end, I'm just really happy that I can keep nitrates low with what I feel is a high bio load (4 tangs, and the regal alone almost counts as 2 ). Plus, I don't have to really do anything on a daily or even weekly basis which is my one issue with the other ULN systems. I'll keep checking nitrates (although probably less frequently now) and I'll keep an eye on the pellets to watch them deplete and replace as needed. This to me really is almost set and forget. Obviously this being a relatively new technology I can't be *that* complacent and will continue to monitor things, but in the long run if things continue the way they are going now, these will truly be set and forget (almost).

P.S. It sounds like a lot more people are interested in these now so a Calgary group order would rock :-D Get on that Tai!

Last edited by kien; 02-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

Nice Pic's. If someone is doing a group order of the N/P Bio pellets count me in.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

So you would reccomend this over rowa phos any day? I am sick of scraping that crap

might have to try this stuff out
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERTA REEF View Post
Nice Pic's. If someone is doing a group order of the N/P Bio pellets count me in.
I just placed the last batch 2L from Ian 10 mins ago, i can split you some if you need it right away
Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
So you would reccomend this over rowa phos any day? I am sick of scraping that crap

might have to try this stuff out
Yes, 100 times yes! Although, to be quite honest, I don't truly know what the pellets are doing with Phosphate reduction. All that I have to go on is an assumption that phosphates are kept at bay by the bacteria that is keeping the nitrates at bay. Testing for phosphates with the colour matching test kits always reads a colourless result for me. Anyway, I too hate rowaphos. I suppose it did its job but I hated replacing it monthly. It was such a mess and a chore! Dumping that last batch of rowaphos out prior to installing the pellets gave me such a huge sense of liberation
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 PM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

I have not tried the Bio pellets yet. If I remember correctly phosphate is some sort of fertilizer that algae thrives on. My thinking is that the bacteria that the Bio pellets product creating mulm does too. Useful Bacteria mulm. Newsagents algae.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM

mytank90 is on a distinguished road

i have read on other sites people are realy likeing the pellets .surprised no one in calgary carries them yet hopefully soon someone might .i would be in for a group order to
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 AM

So when nitrates drop to zero.. what's a guy to do?? Buy more fish!

Borbonius Anthias:

Sunburst Anthias:

Hawaiian Flame Wrasse (female): [I have a male too but have not yet been able to capture a photo of him worth posting. He is fast and skittish!]

Okay so this guy (the tailspot) isn't new but he wanted in on the photo action. Such a great personality this little guy.

For all you fish stocking po-po out there, don't fret! I have re-homed some of my fish to another tank! :-D

1/3 tank shot. Note the not so little Borbon in the bottom right corner

Just realized that the tank has just past the 6 month mark.. maybe I'll write up a full tank update. If I can be bothered..

Last edited by kien; 02-16-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:41 AM

Well, since I'm up mind as well throw up some recent Oceanic grabs.