Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default Question about clam

I have recently purchased a couple crocea clams and lost both of them today. I was placing them on the rock and noticed that they were knocked down to the sand a couple times. I picked them up and put them back on the rock. This morning, they were not at where I put them last night and I found them on the sand again but only the shells were left.
What would likely to knock the clams off the rock and what would have eaten them? If I get more clams in the future, what should I do to ensure their survival? Do I need to glue them on the rock? Thanks all for your help.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
I have recently purchased a couple crocea clams and lost both of them today. I was placing them on the rock and noticed that they were knocked down to the sand a couple times. I picked them up and put them back on the rock. This morning, they were not at where I put them last night and I found them on the sand again but only the shells were left.
What would likely to knock the clams off the rock and what would have eaten them? If I get more clams in the future, what should I do to ensure their survival? Do I need to glue them on the rock? Thanks all for your help.
I wonder if they were healthy when you got them? they should have attached to the rock and been unable to get knocked off. When you purchased them were their "foot" intact?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

They were placed on the sand in the store when I got them. Sorry for the stupid question but they have foot??
Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 PM

04V10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah they have a foot that grabs onto the rock when they find their happy spot. One thing about Crocea clams is they have to have intense lighting, so they may have been moving to try and find some appropriate lighting. One other thing is they don't seem to like too high of a flow. If it's mantle was flying around then it might not have liked that either.

Before it died, was the mantle coming out fully? Was there any pinched mantle issues? What are your water parameters?

I find it hard that they both just up and died one day and there is nothing left in the shell. There should be some stinky remnants of the clam in the shell.... What other inhabitants have you gotten in the tank?

When I first got mine, I put it on the sand with a shell under it as I wanted it in the sand bed as well, however it kept moving around the sand bed everyday looking for a better spot. I then moved it up onto the rocks closer to the lights and it seemed to latch on and be happy. I had a different lighting system than my radions now, so I am sure that I could put it in the sand with a rock or shell under it and it will attach.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
They were placed on the sand in the store when I got them. Sorry for the stupid question but they have foot??
It's called a byssal gland. Sometimes these get ripped off when the clam is collected..
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM

04V10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
It's called a byssal gland. Sometimes these get ripped off when the clam is collected..

Bah!....I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks..lol
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04V10 View Post
Yeah they have a foot that grabs onto the rock when they find their happy spot. One thing about Crocea clams is they have to have intense lighting, so they may have been moving to try and find some appropriate lighting. One other thing is they don't seem to like too high of a flow. If it's mantle was flying around then it might not have liked that either.

Before it died, was the mantle coming out fully? Was there any pinched mantle issues? What are your water parameters?

I find it hard that they both just up and died one day and there is nothing left in the shell. There should be some stinky remnants of the clam in the shell.... What other inhabitants have you gotten in the tank?

When I first got mine, I put it on the sand with a shell under it as I wanted it in the sand bed as well, however it kept moving around the sand bed everyday looking for a better spot. I then moved it up onto the rocks closer to the lights and it seemed to latch on and be happy. I had a different lighting system than my radions now, so I am sure that I could put it in the sand with a rock or shell under it and it will attach.
I put them on top of the highest rock so they can be get as much light as they can since I have been told that they like to get lots of light. Before they die, the mantle was coming out fully. The only time they would close up was when I fed the fishes and the fishes got too close to them. Maybe that's why they moved?? Do they only move at night?
There's nothing left in the shell. It was cleaned out spotless. I have tangs, clownfishes, copperband, wrasses, gobies, cleaner and fireshrimps and snails. I don't have the water parameter right now. I can measure it later if needed.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
How do I check for them when I purchase the clam to make sure they are not damaged?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

i had three clams in my tank, I am now down to 1. they are perfectly happen then BAM... water is all fine... don't know what's up with mine!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Could have been the copperband.