Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 AM

mccrat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mccrat
Default VERY custom tank builders in Calgary?

Hey There,
I know that Golds will build me a tank, not sure how custom they will make it for me though. I did get a quote from Denis but it was a very standard tank. I want a 72" x 32" x 24" rimless tank with 1/2" plate starfire on three sides, external box style overflow drilled with 3 holes and 5 holes drilled on the bottom plate. It will involve some acrylic work for the overflow teeth (bonding glass to acrylic unless the builder can cut the teeth from glass) I have been trying to look for someone that builds very custom tanks and am finding there isn't many people/places out there that will do it for me. Anyone have a tank custom built here in Calgary and are very happy with it? Care to share who built it for you?
Thanks so much!
Theresa
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 AM

calkrog is on a distinguished road

have you checked out bow valley aquariums ? they will build whatever you want, but im sure golds will get it built any way you want aswell, you just have to be very specific in what you want?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Theresa,

Aquarium Illusions out of Edmonton builds custom tanks to your spec. Also, Aquarium Obsessions out of Toronto does too. I know both seem far away but I've got a quote from both and it wasn't as bad as it sounds and I'm farther away than you. To put perspective on it, Aquarium Obsessed is like the Oceanic of customer tank builders...higher quality and very good ratings. Aquarium Illusions is like the All Glass builders...very good quality and nice decent ratings.
I've also heard that Albert is an excellent resource for getting anything you want and he's helped me any time I've been into Golds. I just don't know who builds their tanks for them.

Here is a thread that you might want to follow along with as it is close to what I plan to get and similar to what you're looking for.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37962

Again, this is all just my opinion from the research I've done, but I can tell you that the knowlegeable people on here will really help you out.

Mark.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I'm pretty sure Gold can build you that tank. You should ask specifically (it sounds like you didn't before).

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Acrylic over glass overflows is quite common actually. Although usually for glass overflows, instead of teeth, you usually see black eggcrate. This might be slightly advantageous because eggcrate is easily replaced whereas a broken overflow tooth might not be as easily redone.

My 280g was built by Bow Valley, although it was 3 years ago. I'm aware of their reputation but they were fine for me and based on my experience alone I'd have no reason not to go back and have another built. That said, I know the tanks that Albert & Dennis build are fine too.

Just be firm with what you want when you speak to a builder ... it helps to have drawings. I found there were a couple of things I wasn't that firm on and I got talked out of doing (for the sake of a lower cost) but in the end I kind of wish I had insisted on - the problem was I didn't really know what I want so I kind of let the builder steer me on a couple issues. Looking back, now that I have the tank in the spot I want it there are things I wish I had done differently (eg. overflow in particular). Oh well, it is what it is, I'll live with it since the alternative is .. well .. not practical. So my best advice is plan this as detailed as you can, do some drawings and say "This is what I want. Make it so!"

PS. Welcome to Canreef!

Last edited by Aquattro; 08-22-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Depite my bad experience with them, you should also see who can get uou a quote on a Miracles tank. Historically they build great tanks and can include any feature you can think of.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM

mccrat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mccrat

I do have pretty detailed drawings and yes have found that some just like to do it 'Their' way and are very opinionated. I have some good resources now and hopefully will find someone to build it the way I want. Here is a link to Brian's build thread on reefcentral. It is very similar to what I want. When I start my build I will start a build thread here for you all. Thanks so much!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Theresa
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM

hurley is on a distinguished road

bow valley builds nice tanks at a good price, ive got a couple built and im always happy with the result
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrat View Post
I do have pretty detailed drawings and yes have found that some just like to do it 'Their' way and are very opinionated. I have some good resources now and hopefully will find someone to build it the way I want. Here is a link to Brian's build thread on reefcentral. It is very similar to what I want. When I start my build I will start a build thread here for you all. Thanks so much!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Theresa
Not to sound like a snob or anything, but just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it actually is.

eg. you realize that drilling the bottom of the tank is probably the worse thing you can do eh? The reason dude is gonna get away with it is because his bottom plate ISN'T glass, it's PVC. Also, buddy is using Durso's in his overflow box. From a design standpoint, Durso's are strictly inferior to Herbie's. His sump also mandates an external skimmer as it cannot maintain water level without constant attention or a level controlling monitor.

That said, what exactly was it that you wanted with this tank? Give me a call at the store (Gold Aquariums) if you want to discuss these custom features.

Edit:

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthr...t=36052&page=2

Last edited by albert_dao; 01-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrat View Post
Anyone have a tank custom built here in Calgary and are very happy with it? Care to share who built it for you?
Thanks so much!
Theresa
I had a custom sump built by Golds in December. I took in the dimensions and Albert designed a baffle system for me. Built exactly as drawn and the baffles do exactly what they should. Very happy with the result.

I also have a custom tank from Bow Valley that was built in the past year for Hurley who posted on this thread. It's a nice solid tank that meets my needs perfectly. I had to add an internal overflow because it was originally built to be used with a canister. Just went to Speedy Glass and had the pieces cut, then siliconed them in myself.