Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road
Default I think I need help with my RO/DI

OK.. so I bought an aquasafe unit 2 years ago and it has been sitting in my basement since. I've been using tap water for too long and I am done procrastinating and need to get this unit set up.

The problem? MY DIY skills are poor at best.. I have been through the instructions too many times and I still do not get it (and maybe I am a little scared to try to do it.. part of the reason why it has been sitting for so long) I am hoping someone could lend me a hand to get this thing hooked up?

Thanks!

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Hey Greg--

I set one up just a few months ago. I'm assuming it's the same unit! What, specifically, are you having problems with? I'm getting a regular TDS reading of 0, so I'm assuming I've done it right

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM

Drew,

I have not even set it up.. I scared to do it

What I'm hoping is that someone could come over and walk me through it and help me get it going?

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 PM

I could do that, but just not tonight. I understand the fear of plumbing, lol.

Where are you installing it? Under a sink or what?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM

I appreciate your offer of help Drew Whatever time works best for you though, I don't want to be an inconvenience at all. Typically the weekends are the best for me as weeknights are tough as when I get home my time is consumed with bathing my daughter and getting her to bed and then trying to make supper for the wife and I and all that jazz.

I was actually thinking about putting it in my furnace room as my main tank is plumbed through the wall into ther, where I have my sump and my 60 gallon. I would imagine it could be tapped into the cold water feed line to the bathroom sink from there.

One thing I am really trying to get my head around is how the water comes out of it? Does it just dump into a rubber maid.. do I need a float switch or do I just manually turn on the valves let it make its water and turn it off when enough is made?

Anyhow.. let me know what would work for you if you don't mind lending a hand I really do appreciate it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM

No worries, Greg. I have mine set up pretty simply. I turn it on, drain it into a container, and then turn it off when I'm done (I set a few timers around the house to make sure I don't forget, lol). So with float switches, I'm afraid I won't be much help. But with the actual setting up of the unit, I'm pretty confident.

PM me on the weekend if you still need some help by then, and let me know what works for you!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks Drew. I'll drop you a PM in a couple days to check your schedule.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's not that bad, you're going to feel silly when it's all done

Anyhow, I was gonna offer to come over and help too if you want, but I wouldn't be able to come by until the weekend. (Sorry!) But if Drew comes over, you're in good hands anyhow.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Aw shucks Hey, we could make it an RO/DI party. You know you're a geek WHEN.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus