Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Help a Dog?

I just received an e-mail from my sister-in-law and it has compelled me to reach out for help.
This concerns a dog. A five year old Border Collie. An athletic pooch who needs surgery to deal with "Hip Dysplasia". His days in "Fly-Ball" are sadly over now but the chronic pain requires surgery to simply improve his qualty of life.
My sister-in-law requested bottles to assist her in raising money to help her little buddy get the surgery. She works two jobs and cares for her dog like a child. She just doesn't have enough money to get things done.

I hope this post doesn't get "nuked" because of its nature but I want to help out someone in desperate need.

Many of you know I operate a part-time business leasing and maintaining aquariums around the city. I propose to MATCH EVERY DOLLAR donated with earnings from my maintenance business. Just think, if 100 people honor a $1.00 donation, I'll present the vet. with $200.00. If 1000 people do this then I'm workin' for nothin' and the Humane Society will get a $700.00 donation on behalf of CanReef members. The cost of surgery is $1300.00. I'm putting $100.00 in the jar to help her out.

I know that this hobby utilizes all of our spare change, but I also know folks who keep Marine aquariums are responsible and passionate pet owners, so please, help me help a friend!
I am set up on PayPal. chinookaquatics@shaw.ca

Thanking you in advance,

Last edited by TANGOMAN; 03-19-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I should have about $100+ worth (Bottles cans ETC) you can have, if the roomie says its OK. you would have to pick up thou. I will ask when he gets home.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

I'd gladly travel to pick-up bottles. (Even empty ones...LOL)

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I have many beer cans...many.... you may pick up.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I also have a few cans, and I'm sure I can find a bit of cash to donate to a very good cause.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

I betcha I could throw together a couple of big, orange garbage bags full of beer cans, as well. Let me know when you would like to pick up and I shall get them ready for you.

If I know the big-hearted people on this board, you may have to plan an entire day to pick up bottles!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

apparently I wasn't sensitive enough.. so I'll nuke it.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 03-19-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 AM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
as much as I like dogs and such, one has to wonder if the surgery is worth it or is it time to put the dog down and get a new one. I was faced with a operation on a cat I used to have and spent the money.. now I love cats and dogs and when I have them they are part of my family but the reality is they are a pet and I have decided I will never spend that kind of money for "Quality of life" issues again. in the end I don't fell it is worth it.

Steve
I'd probably think the same thing, Steve, if this was a 20 year old dog. But this dog should be in his prime and deserves a chance. Borders are SUCH nice dogs......
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 AM

Telford is on a distinguished road

Ok, i'll be the jerk. It's irks me when people have pets when they can't afford them. As anyone that owns or has owned a dog knows, there is inevitably going to be expenses above and beyond the bowl of food you put down for him each day. They are a 'luxury' item and should only be kept if you can afford them and if you are prepared to put up some $$$ when (not if) it's required.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

This thread isn't to debate dog ownership, or your personal choices with your pet's life when faced with questions like quality of life. Its about asking for bottles so a woman, who clearly sounds like she is doing her best and then some, can do what she feels is best for her dog. I don't want to see this thread shut down, but I think this is crossing into politics, and I believe that is against the UA. Please don't make the mods close the thread.