Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
Just a quick note when i got a quote done on a tank, I used 7 or 8 business's around north america. Everyone said they could drill the bottom (glass) but it would have to be minimum 3/4 inch think and tempered. Decided against it
That must have been a large tank.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
That must have been a large tank.
No, not really, but in order to maintain integrity with the amount of hole is wanted drilled they said it needed to be that thick.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 AM

mccrat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mccrat

It's so great to hear about everyone's experiences, I really don't want this thread to be a builder basher though..... so I hope there is no offence to all the builders out there. Everyone is always entilited to their opinion good and bad. I am going to review my specs this weekend and hopefully post what I am thinking of. After I do that, I welcome everyone's feed back. But only on your personal experience would be great. There are good ways and bad ways of doing everything and when it comes to building a large tank its the strength and integrity that is the ultimate cause for concern. Everything else depends on how much work you really want to put into your system.

Having said that, Albert, I know that Brian used an external skimmer and PVC bottom. I am planning on that too. Hoping that I can have the bottom machined for the holes and made from 1" PVC is what I am looking for. When ever I talk to Denis about acrylic or PVC, his comment is "only glass" he comes across as very set in his ways....granted, he has aquaria experience, but I have done a lot of reading over the last year, and I am quite firm on my reasoning, (unless of course someone can convince me other wise without sounding negative and critical). I really can't wait to show you all but I need it more to scale than how I have it....mspaint just doesn't cut it
Cheers,
Theresa
Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

There are no builders in Canada for PVC bottoms as far as I'm aware. I like the idea, it makes sense, but you'll have to bring a tank up from the States if you want this kind of build.

Regarding acrylic, here's a few first page links off the RC search engine:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ostid=11428532

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hlight=tenecor

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=790161

There was a point in time that I was dead set on acrylic being the superior material. We were fairly close to bringing in acrylic tanks, then I did some more objective research and found that the increased costs of acrylic is rarely worth the time/effort.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Everything I have read on pvc bottom tanks says you need to have some highly specialized or at the very least not common tools for bonding the glass and pvc (i think it was ultraviolent lights etc.) The people on RC who have them swear by them, i got a quote from I believe it was AE but shipping was out of my price range. Plus they are fairly new ideas and have not had a chance to "stand the test of time" so to speak. If i could have afforded it i would have done it in a second. As far as an acrylic tank all i know in my less then objectable opinion (only scanning threads, no real research) is i see time and time again people saying they would go glass if they could re-do it. That being said some of the larger "show" reefs on various boards use acrylic. I find these particular people have a certain foresight into their takes most people are lacking, they are very well thought out and the people have to money to do it right. Ie extra acryic for covers when cleaning in tank so no sand moves , specialized cleaning instruments/ideas etc. Not saying us normal folk are lacking in preparedness, just maybe the means...

Last edited by Pan; 01-20-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Maybe a bit off topic, but what are the advantages to a PVC bottom?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

You could throw a Rotweiller and four toddlers into a tank with a PVC bottom and it wouldn't break.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do something that cruel, to a dog...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah, but what about 4 Albert_dao's and an Albertosaurus though? Still OK, or should the PVC be tempered first?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

LMAO...obviously you have children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOMAN View Post
I wouldn't do something that cruel, to a dog...

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.