Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default The ideal sump/refugium

I'm intersted in opinions on what the ideal sump & refugium arrangement would look like to you enthusiests.
I have a remote sump etc in the basement below my display tank upstairs. I'm fortunate with unlimited space down below. I currently have approx 40g in a rubbermaid sump, a 33g refugium c/w L.R. & macro-algae. I have another 33g being put together for mangroves. More to come...?

My main goal; nutrient export. I wish to provide ideal conditions for coral growth while maintaing a heavy bio-load of fish. I've gone with a bare-bottom tank and while I perform water changes regularly, they are for replenishing basic elements, Not chasing increasing nitrate levels that accompany heavy bio-loads.

I'm hessitant to use Miracle-Mud. All refugiums are currently bare bottom. A DSB a good option?

What would you do if ya' had the space? Two key factors though; Keep costs reasonable and low maintainance is always good. (K.I.S.S.)

p.s.
I'm looking for a "light mover" rail system for refugium illumination with one lamp. These are electronic and too cool! Any around town...?

Thanks,
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

All refugiums are BB?
Where are you getting this info?
Everyone I know who has a dedicated refugium has a DSB.
Go with at least 6 inches of sand.

Or do you mean your refugiums are all BB?
As far as light movers go...any indoor garden supply place sells them.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 12-28-2007, 02:03 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

I use the miracle mud in my mangrove refug but I put about an inch of sand over the top of it and havent had a problem with mud entering the system.

Scott
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 AM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Ya' MY refugiums are BB, for now. That sounded like I was preaching the gospel with no clue what I was talkin' about didn't it?

I haven't heard any really negative reviews about the "mud" theory, I just don't know if the cost justifies the results. Difficult though with a relatively new product, but I was jumping on the bandwagon when powerheads replaced air stones on UG filter systems for marine tanks...yikes!

As for the sand, is "play sand" still a good option and "seed" it?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

I used this instead...Caribsea Mineral Mud Substrate - 1 Gallon. Half the price and it satisfies my belief that trees need soil.

Scott
Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOMAN View Post
I'm intersted in opinions on what the ideal sump & refugium arrangement would look like to you enthusiests.
I have a remote sump etc in the basement below my display tank upstairs. I'm fortunate with unlimited space down below. I currently have approx 40g in a rubbermaid sump, a 33g refugium c/w L.R. & macro-algae. I have another 33g being put together for mangroves. More to come...?

My main goal; nutrient export. I wish to provide ideal conditions for coral growth while maintaing a heavy bio-load of fish. I've gone with a bare-bottom tank and while I perform water changes regularly, they are for replenishing basic elements, Not chasing increasing nitrate levels that accompany heavy bio-loads.

I'm hessitant to use Miracle-Mud. All refugiums are currently bare bottom. A DSB a good option?

What would you do if ya' had the space? Two key factors though; Keep costs reasonable and low maintainance is always good. (K.I.S.S.)

p.s.
I'm looking for a "light mover" rail system for refugium illumination with one lamp. These are electronic and too cool! Any around town...?

Thanks,
Check LifeReef for the sump/refuge combo very well done work !
Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Dale is on a distinguished road

Just for discussion sake,
If you are looking for an effective refugium/nutrient export system and don't have to worry about space try installing a rain gutter.
Take a 6-8 ft gutter, feed water in one end and have it drain into the sump from the other. Take a role of gutter guard, cut it length ways and weave it back and forth down the gutter like this:

Mount a plant spectrum fluorescent bulb over the gutter, remove the gutter guard once in a while to scrape off the algae and you will have a very effective nutrient export factory.

Last edited by Dale; 12-29-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

You should come to the store and talk to me