Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

I agree that the blue/white flicker is kinda annoying , but being able to fine tune your color temp by dimming the different color LEDs is a huge plus . Next tank i light will be with a diy led setup , probably from rapid led . Now i just have to hurry up and get a new tank .
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

MHs are certainly not outdated, still by far my personal favourite for color and effect. LEDs can't offer the effect from the single source which creates stunning rays and shadows for contrast. By far the most natural lighting and the best lighting for photography is MH. Also for actinic effect fluorescents take that prize not LEDs.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post

I think the main thing causes your bias to MH is based on the fact that many people who add led tend to sway away from the 10-14k spectrum.
Bingo. I for one do not like 14K or higher, but rather a crisp 12K. so when I build my LEDs I will be build them so thats what I get when both colors are on full.

as for Naesco's statments.. sorry I have to go with Brad on this one.. when you see a coral in the wild during the day you are seeing the true color. I used to do the same as Brad with my corals.. take them outside for a true color. when in the tank especialy when lit with RB leds you are getting a floressence line you stated and yes the corals has thoes emzines but you do not see that in the wild, except for some cases of deep water corals where there is no real visable light.

yes there is floressence in shallow reef but to a very small degree, for a small period at sunrise and sunset there will be more but no where near the amount you see in artificialy lit reefs.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post

Seriously, MH has another 10 years on my tank before it's outdated. I have yet to see a tank with LED that I like, and I sure wouldn't spend money on doing that to my tank. No, I haven't seen a lot of tanks lit by LED, but of those I've seen, I haven't liked any yet.
+1
I have seen tanks under LED and none are to my liking. When i see a few years old tank under LED that producing polyp extention growth and vitality like MH does may be then i will consider the LED.
If and only when the price tag is considerably lower then it is now.
There is no way i will spend 2K on LED lighting when i can get MH for under $300
Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Jon, I might be, but it's not the color, it's the flicker of blue vs white shadow. If the light was only 1 color, that might remove that issue.
And, I'd really need to see a full blown SPS tank after 3 years to ensure a constant output. Time will tell, but I love MH, and since I have MH, it works out well
yup I'm with you Brad MH hasn't failed after how many years
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
+1
When i see a few years old tank under LED that producing polyp extention growth and vitality like MH does may be then i will consider the LED.
people keep saying this but there are several tanks out there that are aproaching 4 years running and yes the growth, PE and color are just as good (and even better on a couple I have seen) than MH, on some systems that people have made.

don't get me wrong I am very Pro MH, but I do see the other side of LED also. very expensive like you said to buy a premade system thats good, but about the same as MH if you can build your own. it cost me 600 just to build my 2x250 MH, and I can build a LED that will cover the same size tank for about 700.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

really 500 on how big of a tank Steve I should get you to build me one for mine
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
really 500 on how big of a tank Steve I should get you to build me one for mine
smaller than yours

that would be 700 like I posted not 500, that would have been on my 90 (3x2x2) and I would end up with a high PAR level, spend another 150 and the PAR would be through the roof.

sorry not building now due to my job and no time. Have to finnish training at work and get my shop finnished then we'll see.

Steve

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM

Kmarrs is on a distinguished road

I just started my very first reef tank i dont have any corals but i absolutly love my MH fixture. Landed coming from the states i bought it complete with bulbs for $400 can't beat it for 656w. I think LED'S still have alot to prove.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmarrs View Post
I think LED'S still have alot to prove.
Big thread would like to have a word with you:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...1991180&page=4