Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-30-2008, 05:39 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default Non smoking laws Dictatorship??

Well, I'll start by saying I do not smoke...Anymore. I quit 5 years ago, and best thing I have done. BUT, the Can Govt has passed Legislation that as of May 1, there is NO Smoking in any business, or within 10 Ft of a window or doorway to said businesses. Also, its illegal to smoke in cars when there is children in the car(that I kinda agree with)

BUT, heres the kicker, where I work, a Sawmill, there is a set up smoking room. No combustibles, lots of ventalation, in plain view inside the mill. Workers can keep an eye on the mill, and Foreman can keep an eye on the workers when they smoking. But, now, the smokers have to go outside, where they can have 2 walls and a roof, or 4 walls, NO roof, or worse yet, they will go into th dark, dusty corners and hide to have a smoke. this increasing the chances of a Fire. Makes perfect sence Huh?!!? Take away a perfectly good smoking room, Take away a persons CHOICE, and force them to smoke outside. resurants, Bars, which all had separate ventilated smoking rooms set up for the past 5+ years, now NO SMOKING.

Now, I know smoking is bad, but this blanket "you cant do that now" law is BS. Really Dictatorship if you ask me. We no longer have a choice. I really don't play by the rules well, especially when I don't have a choice. Kinda makes me want to start smoking again, just to break the rules

So much for Democracy RIP

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Hush Comrade, or I will report you to the Party.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Well ,we've had those laws in place in Victoria forever, and nobody has died from them yet. Also, I think the democratic process is a choice of the majority, which in this case are non smokers, hence, democracy working as designed. We also have laws that dictate that you can't drink in a public place, nobody arguing about that. We also have a new one about urinating in public...just awful that we can't choose where to pee, isn't it?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM

WHAT?? Can't drink in a public place?? No Peeing either?? Aww man........LOL Guess theres a reason why I don't like city's. Even in the country, we get your city rules forced on us, weather they apply or not. Thats what I think is wrong. The "because we say so" attitude. Its like were all kids or something

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
No Peeing either?? Aww man
nope. I come out of the bar at 3am, and just gotta go, and make the personal decision that I want to pee on the sidewalk, the cops are gonna give me a ticket and fine. Now that's BS.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I can support the ban for restaraunts and bars. The reasoning is that the people who have to work in there are subjected to the smoke and are not freely able to choose not to go in as are the patrons. In a situation like the mill, there could be some leeway as long as those who do not smoke have their own space and are never required to enter the smoking area. Unfortuanetly that would lead to seriously complicated regulations, so the easy solution to impose and to enforce is the total ban. I will say, I do appreciate the requirement for no smoking within a reasonable distance of an entryway. I hate having to run the gauntlet of puffers out front of a pub or business.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
nope. I come out of the bar at 3am, and just gotta go, and make the personal decision that I want to pee on the sidewalk, the cops are gonna give me a ticket and fine. Now that's BS.
Maybe they will give you the option to wipe it up with your jacket or get a ticket ....... not that I would offer such a thing......
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
not that I would offer such a thing......
Brad stayin' out of Richmond! Not that I really pee on sidewalks, I'm too shy for that. But if I wanted to, now that's the issue. Dictators, all of them!!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Ahh, I love the country. "Ohh look, there's a bush, I wana pee on it" LOL

Sometimes I think Democracy is a polite word for Do as I say HAHAHA

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Sometimes I think Democracy is a polite word for Do as I say HAHAHA
Actually, I think it's more of "do what WE say", WE being the majority that elected the rule makers.
But on the issue at hand, I love being able to go into Starbucks and not have to hold my breath. These laws have been in place here for so long I can't remember when the last time there was a smoking section in a public place.