Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM

NanoHuman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoHuman

Problem with all things political is that the majority ends up not factoring into decisions, it is the vocal minority who have the time to waste voicing their pointless opinion that cause things like this.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

sounds like all the salt water fish keepers in vernon need to go to the meating and present a well thought out argument to remove the salt water fish from the list. maybe it doesn't include all salt water fish, but only ones that are curently banned. only way to find out is to go to the city hall and ask to see the proposed list of banned animals and then go from there.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 PM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

So I guess they should ban any pet food that is not holistic or organic because if you feed anything to your animals that is not, it could be looked at as cruelty to animals. And these people ,I assume do not use fossil fuels for hot water,heating or cooking,don't drive cars,eat meat,use anythig made out of plastic(ie.computers),wear anything containing synthetic fibers etc.,etc.So when they open their mouths next time,I want to see them in grass skirts sitting outside their grass huts in total darkness !!!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Seafan is on a distinguished road

Having moved from this area just over a year ago now, I'm unfortunately not surprised.
I just cannot understand this rationale. I could more so understand the countries of origin banning as this potentially hurts their country, but what harm comes to vernon for allowing fish?
Just out of curiosity what lfs closed up? I used to shop at them quite frequently.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoHuman View Post
Problem with all things political is that the majority ends up not factoring into decisions, it is the vocal minority who have the time to waste voicing their pointless opinion that cause things like this.
+1
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

remember when Alberta banned certain exotics due to that fact they survived in our enviroments. Remember those cute small red eared turtles you can buy everywhere?

I had 6 that lasted 30 years, finally donated them to the zoo, because no one had the permits to keep them.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Having moved from this area just over a year ago now, I'm unfortunately not surprised.
I just cannot understand this rationale. I could more so understand the countries of origin banning as this potentially hurts their country, but what harm comes to vernon for allowing fish?
Just out of curiosity what lfs closed up? I used to shop at them quite frequently.
Complete Pet Mart by Okanagan Glass has gone out of business.

Appears I've opened up quite a discussion here, many very valid points including the one about the fact that freshwater is mostly aquacultured whereas saltwater is not. Nevertheless, I think it really boils down to responsible pet ownership and that can't be legislated. The RCMP and most other police forces are far too busy with more important things than to raid people's homes looking for exotics. I reckon Vernon will need to hire a few more bylaw officers to patrol our homes, ha ha.

Anyhow, I went through the rigamarole to register with some comment website so I could add my two cents worth to the comments on the article I linked to. Here's what I submitted:

"That's quite a list of animals to consider banning. So where do we draw the line in our quest to appease the animal rights advocates. When it comes right down to it, what's the difference between keeping a so called 'exotic' animal and the conventionally accepted pets such as dogs & cats. Provided the animal is properly cared for, to me, there is no difference. Certainly some exotic pets pose additional challenges in proper care, but when you look at the lack of care some of our domestic pets receive, a ban on some 'experts' list of exotics makes no sense. Common sense dictates that not too many folks would consider keeping an alligator on their premises. A ban on irresponsible pet owners maybe."
Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

They have good intentions in banning exotic animals but by including all saltwater fish on the list they are showing their ignorance.

If you compare the amount of saltwater fish captured for the aquarium trade, to the amount of fish caught for food, the saltwater aquarium fish account for a tiny fraction of a percent of the total fish caught. If they are going to ban saltwater aquarium fish shouldn't they ban food fish first?

I agree that logical arguments need to be presented to council.

If I were a Vernon area reefer or pet store owner I would point out to them:

Endangered species are already protected by CITES
Many saltwater fish are captive-bred
People's jobs (local and in countries of origin) depend on the saltwater fish trade
Lots of other arguments I just can't think of them right now

Anyway the more people that post a comment on the article the better.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

This just sounds ridiculous to me. If they are going to take things this far, they may as well just ban pets all together.
Like someone mentioned above, where do you draw the line...
Are they going toban those live crab and lobster jammed in those tanks at the grocery stores? What about live lobster at restraunts (not sure if Vernon has any but). This could go on and on
Unreal.....
+++ on the " polititcians with too much time on their hands"
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

If I were to go online, and post pictures of my new black lab in a 2' x 2' room. Will anything be done? What, if I said that was where he was going to stay forever, and that I would only use a shovel to clean up after him (nope, not using cloth's or cleaners), and that I know he will get bigger, and benefit from a larger space, and that I think he is so cute, I might get two more!!!! (sorry for the run on, it was done intentionally)

What would happen? I would be in jail. Animal cruelty.

So, think about all the boards we frequent... Now think of how many times you have seen the same thing... I have a 40 gallon cube (details) then a huge stocking list including tangs, and other fish that will get bigger etc. And all of this will be maintained with inadequate filtration.

Not far off from what is being done to the dog, but with fish.

What happens? Nothing. The community will normally try to encourage the person to reconsider. Some will do it more passionately than others. But no matter what, they will not be charged with animal cruelty. Isn't it though?

I don't think a total ban should be the case. But it is easy to see why it would be included in the blanket ban.

I do however think that not everyone should be able to get whatever animal they wanted. If I go to a big box store, or a small LFS, they will order the fish if I am willing to pay for it. I would really like to think that the stores would make sure that the person could care for the fish. But I don't see it. How many fish stores carry groupers? Sharks? Idols? Nudibranchs?

What would happen if we all had to register our tanks with the city? Permits to get the fish (much like most places do with cats and dogs)

I love my fish, I do what I can to ensure they are taken care of. But there are many people with too much $$ that are helping to ruin our hobby. It is easy to see why they are looking at doing this.