Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 PM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road
Default Quick WP40 Review

I posted a review over on the Reef Supply Canada website so here's a lazy guy's cut/paste/edit version for Canreef:

I was reading the discussion over on Reef Central about this pump when I happened to see a pre-order listing for these at Reef Supply Canada. My curiosity got the better of me so I snagged on of these just before the order deadline. The shipment arrived quickly and communication was great as is usual from Nick. It arrived in the box pictured on the order page. It luckily arrived in great shape BUT it really should have been double boxed. I doubt that the manufacture's box would be up to the usual rigours of Canada Post. While I'm grousing, many forums indicate that it ships with a resistor for the night sensor. No such goodies arrived in my box.

So, it's been installed for about a week on the end of a 6' long 100 gallon tank. It's more than powerful enough to create waves that can slop over the ends of the tank. While I was adjusting the settings I noticed that the pump had some zoos in the intake grill. The flow had ripped them from their mother colony, dislodged my monti cap and a blew over few other corals. If you don't want to do involuntary fragging I'd be careful choosing modes. It had a bit of a buzzy noise when ramping up/down but that disappeared after a few days. Now its very quiet. My favourite mode is "Else" which is similar to a random setting. The corals (that stay glued down) seem to love it. The controller doesn't have the flexibility of my MP40 but this is offset by the ability to direct the flow (like a Tunze?).

The tank always has had a bit of a surface film that I've never been able to skim off through my hang-on overflow. After first installing the WP40 it agitated the water well enough to send the film (and a whole lot of other suspended crud) through the overflow and into my sump where the skimmer and socks could do their jobs. I'm still messing with finding the optimal placement on the glass and best settings. While "else" is my favourite mode it can create the odd random high wave that can induce some mild arse puckering. Time will tell how reliable these are but it seems fairly robust so far. I'm going to get another and retire 3 of the Korallias.

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Sounds good Darcy, thanks for the info.
I just ordered two myself, I've done some reading on a few forums and should be able to wire this into my profilux with a little DIY.
I've read a lot of people did not receive the photocell, sounds like it didn't run so well anyway. If mine come with them, they're yours if you want them.
From what I've read, you either like them or hate them. But for the price, I'll take the chance. I'm starting with two for now, but think four total pending placement.
I'll post what I find as well.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 AM

rhody605 is on a distinguished road

Tagging along. I'm debating of getting one or waiting for the wp-25 if it will come out. I'm in no rush so time is on my side. If I were to get a wp-40 I would have to do a mod. Prob just the voltage selector for power supply. Only about $20 to tone it down.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Ya, the wp25 is not far from release.
I may get two of these as well just for fun......
Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 AM

Kevany is on a distinguished road

I ordered one of the WP40's last week for my 90 gal on line $107.00 including shipping. The rumor on RC is that the WP25's are only rated for 3000 l/h.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 AM

ImprezaSTi is on a distinguished road

You have to look really carefully for the light sensor, they put it in the small clear bag with the stickers. I thought mine didn't come with it either but I discovered it a few days later. It's smaller than the size of a pin
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 AM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaSTi View Post
You have to look really carefully for the light sensor, they put it in the small clear bag with the stickers. I thought mine didn't come with it either but I discovered it a few days later. It's smaller than the size of a pin
I'd heard they were small and was careful to look for them. If by the 'stickers' you mean the sticky tape they send to mount the controller, that bag was open and the contents were loose in the box, so who knows. The box has two open slots where the ends meet the bottom. Anything that small could have easily made its escape. The ties used to bundle the cords were just loosely twisted on and the cardboard pieces securing the contents were flattened. It all had the look of being opened and poorly re packed. I know Nick would have made it right but it's not that big of a deal to me since nothing was broken and the important bits were all still there. I only mention it since it might be an issue with others more eager to use the sensor.

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 AM

Reefer head is on a distinguished road

Where can I order these pumps ?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM

Kevany is on a distinguished road

PM sent with link to web site.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Reefer head is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks man I just ordered two of wp40 pumps