Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Carandiru is on a distinguished road
Question Which Return Pump for basement sump?

I'm in the process of plumbing a basement sump and I've done a lot of looking around for a decent return pump.
Key things I'm looking for are:
  • Energy Effiecent
  • At Least 11ft of Head Pressure
  • More GPH the better
  • Not too expensive

I've narrowed my selection down to:

REEFLO BLOWHOLE BH1100 http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/in...oducts_id=2281
$174.99

WATER BLASTER HY 7000
http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/in...oducts_id=2294
$249.99

RLSS Controllable Waveline DC 10000 Pump
http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/...ada&item=59357
$329.00 + 20.00 shipping

I really like the Waveline DC due to it's efficiency and being not much more than the waterblaster hy 7000 you get a lot more GPH. The only thing is the Coravue Waterblaster comes with a 3 year warranty vs only 1 year for the Waveline DC. The blowhole is energy efficient too but external only.

So what do you guys think? I've had a look at all different types of pumps and these three seem to be the most energy efficient of all of them - or am I missing some? Really don't want to spend more than $350.00 on a return pump as there is other stuff I would like to budget for and buy for the whole setup.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

you need a pressure rated pump. Those last two pumps would probably not make it by the time you factor in you plumbing.....or you might get a trickle.

The reeflo blowhole pumps look promising......are they a new product? I like the price point and they sound good.

Personally Im using a gen x mak4 return pump from my basement sump. It has worked great now for 3 years....I havent even taken it off line to clean it once.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I've got a basement sump, and pushing probably close to 12'-14' of head. I looked into those blowhole pumps and there doesn't seem to be very good reviews on them. I ran a Laguna pond pump on mine for a year and it was a really good little pump but took a fairly large foot print in my sump. I've since switched over to an external Reeflo Hammerhead. It was a bit much for my 77 gallon display so got the Barracuda impeller and it's just right. When I get my 210 up and running I'll put the bigger impeller back in.

I have no experience with the WATER BLASTER HY 7000 so no comment there.
The Waveline pump came out after I got my Reeflo. But from what I've seen and my conversations with the manufacturer, it'll do the job and will probably be my next pump. I know Grizz is running a couple of them and so is ... hmmm I don't remember who, but I know someone else is
Hopefully they'll pipe in here.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

I dont think you will find anybody running a waterblaster 7000 from a basement sump up a floor. MAX HEAD is 12'

Like I said a pressure rated pump needed. Sure you can use a large internal pump that is capable but consider the heat it will add and they are not as efficient at pushing water under pressure.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Yup, agreed. The Waveline can be either in-line or submersible, and if I'm not mistaken, can be speed controlled by an Apex or similar controller. Not sure how much or if any tweeking is necessary, but I've heard it can be done.

Just an FYI here's the flow chart for the DC 10000. You're going to be getting 1500-1700 gph or so if I extrapolated that properly. I'd probably reduce that by another 10-15% depending on piping and what not.
http://www.rlss.ca/#!dc-pump/vstc3=dc10000

Last edited by daplatapus; 11-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM

seems like the waveline handles pressure pretty good. The bubble blaster not so much.

thank for the correction on that one.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I run two Waveline 10000s, both mine leaked slightly when I had them external so I've moved them internally. Seem like decent pumps so far but I'm not convinced on the flow rate, I have two running in parallel with minimal head pressure and it just doesn't seem like as much as you might expect considering they are rated at 2600gph each, still working on a way to measure what I'm getting cause I am curious.

Also there is no advanced controller yet AFAIK, the development of one has just been mentioned in some reviews. They are pretty quite, no real vibration just a bit of a motor hum. They ramp up slowly when turned on and the controller remembers your setting if shut off, both very nice features.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
still working on a way to measure what I'm getting cause I am curious.
I think GHL came out with sensors but if I'm remembering right they only went to 2000gph.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I think GHL came out with sensors but if I'm remembering right they only went to 2000gph.
Yeah not much good for me really. Typically you can get good estimate on the flow rate buy timing how long it takes your sump to catch up after a shut down provided you know the volume of back flow but these pumps ramp up slowly. Another option is to drain your overflow and then shut your drain valves timing how long it take to full the overflow box but my pumps are in my overflow box so that doesn't work for me either.

I was looking at that pump curve previously posted, it really makes no sense to me. The slope shouldn't increase with more head pressure and it's apparently only capable of 5m of head yet the chart suggest it still do more than half it's rated flow rate at it's max head pressure. Maybe it's not showing up right on my browser, this is what I see

This is what a typical pump curve looks like
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Yes....it is strange that at the max head height it is still doing over half the flow??? I thought the same thing.