Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Dont get me wrong. I really like my Vortech and they have been great to deal with. Just was curious if there was some sort of temporary fix. Really dont want to put my big bulky Koralia in while waiting for the new part to arrive. Thanks for the link Wes, Inever think of going to RC as I think they are a bunch of nozzles.

Last edited by Madreefer; 11-23-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

service is excellent, no doubt. but they are always being serviced
Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Inever think of going to RC as I think they are a bunch of nozzles.

+1.

I tried to post once to buy a light from someone.... but admin told me that until I had "50 meaningful posts" I was not able to access buy and sell?!?!?!

Cudos to Canreef. RC sucks.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
You need to try them Mark... I do love mine overall and even though they are expensive, they are worth the money. The settings on the Vortechs do more than any wavebox can do. Sorry, but a wavebox just doesn't compare in my opinion, in areas of creating undertows, exporting of nutrients and elimination of dead spots.

Edit: also in regards to service, I can say they are great, quite comparable to Hydor.
No argument on the product's functionality, just it's reliability. These pumps are meant to replace multiple smaller pumps which, when they work, is great. However when they fail, they represent a single point of failure that means NO FLOW until it's fixed. For those of us who upgrade from other powerheads that we KEPT, we can hobble along. For those who either jumped right into one of these or sold their old powerheads......well....that can be a real problem.

These products are priced at a real premium and as such should represent premium value -which, for a mission-critical component, means RELIABILITY.

I'd be curious to see some hard numbers on how many of these have been sold and how many have had issues. From my perspective, there's an unusually high number of problems but for all I know, the problems represent 1% of all the units in the field -a pretty respectable number from a manufacturing point of view. Now we're never going to see those numbers so we only have perceptions to go on.

As someome starting to plan for a larger tank in the future and who was planning on putting an MP40 in it, I have to tell you, I'm pretty nervous about spending $500 on a pump and have it fail 1 month after the warranty is over. I'm pretty handy and have a full shop so changing the bearings doesn't scare me but the point is that for $500, I shouldn't HAVE to.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Seems pretty easy to change the bearings after reading a link bluetang<3 put up. After warranty is up that is what i"ll be doin. Diverdude makes a valid point about having a spare PH around. Glad I still had a Koralia in my junk bin but uggh....it's so ugly to look at. Another Vortech is on my wish list but it"ll be a MP60.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Those of you that happened to have a problem with the dry side of these units, what did you have to do to get warranty on them?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
No argument on the product's functionality, just it's reliability. These pumps are meant to replace multiple smaller pumps which, when they work, is great. However when they fail, they represent a single point of failure that means NO FLOW until it's fixed. For those of us who upgrade from other powerheads that we KEPT, we can hobble along. For those who either jumped right into one of these or sold their old powerheads......well....that can be a real problem.

These products are priced at a real premium and as such should represent premium value -which, for a mission-critical component, means RELIABILITY.

I'd be curious to see some hard numbers on how many of these have been sold and how many have had issues. From my perspective, there's an unusually high number of problems but for all I know, the problems represent 1% of all the units in the field -a pretty respectable number from a manufacturing point of view. Now we're never going to see those numbers so we only have perceptions to go on.

As someome starting to plan for a larger tank in the future and who was planning on putting an MP40 in it, I have to tell you, I'm pretty nervous about spending $500 on a pump and have it fail 1 month after the warranty is over. I'm pretty handy and have a full shop so changing the bearings doesn't scare me but the point is that for $500, I shouldn't HAVE to.
Personally I have NOT had any failures of any sort.... I have had them get a bit noisy, and Ecotech has been great in replacing one dry side component, and offering to replace the second if I desire.

Great service, and no failure for me so far, so I still recommend.

Mark, I think overall the only complaint is that they can get noisy. We all know that they can break, like any other moving part. But I don't think the breakage and the numbers broken are the issue here overall. I do believe they are a higher quality component, as you stated they should be. As long as the company stands by their products, service and support then that should be what matters.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Well I seem to be having a problem finding out what to do. Talked to Ecotech and was told to send it but when I said I was from Canada they told me to go to thestore I bought it from. Did that and the owner said that his supplier told him that we have to deal with Ecotech directly. The store owner is helping me out with this but i'm really starting to get ****ed. The pump is already packed up and ready to send out. If this pump has to be sent to Pennsylvania during this time of the year it's going to take forever to finally have it back working in my tank. I'm guessing at least a month. So as far as i'm concerned that is not good service. Actually thinking of replacing the bearings myself to save all this hassle because it's obviously the bearings that are shot. But than I screw my warranty. This Vortech is only 4 months old. After dealing with this for a week now and still having it sit with no answers my suggestion to you Mark is to stay away from the Vortech due to the warranty service that i am getting.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Well I seem to be having a problem finding out what to do. Talked to Ecotech and was told to send it but when I said I was from Canada they told me to go to thestore I bought it from. Did that and the owner said that his supplier told him that we have to deal with Ecotech directly. The store owner is helping me out with this but i'm really starting to get ****ed. The pump is already packed up and ready to send out. If this pump has to be sent to Pennsylvania during this time of the year it's going to take forever to finally have it back working in my tank. I'm guessing at least a month. So as far as i'm concerned that is not good service. Actually thinking of replacing the bearings myself to save all this hassle because it's obviously the bearings that are shot. But than I screw my warranty. This Vortech is only 4 months old. After dealing with this for a week now and still having it sit with no answers my suggestion to you Mark is to stay away from the Vortech due to the warranty service that i am getting.
Being in Canada, they don't want to deal with us directly. the first time I dealt with them, they did send me the new component from the US. I talked to them a week ago, and now you have to deal with someone in Canada. Sorry, I can't recall who, and I deleted the email. I would suggest that you call them back on Monday, and ask who to deal with, as they have a particular person/company that they told me about.

The LFS you bought it from should be able to help, but it may be faster to find out the direct Canadian wholesaler.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Mark, I think overall the only complaint is that they can get noisy.
Yes, but "noisy" is the bearings starting to fail. As long as it's under warranty, then....well...it still takes TIME (time with no Vortech in your tank) to get it fixed (regardless of whether you're paying or not).

Presumeably, they replace the dry side in it's entirety but even if they didn't, I think it's safe to assume that the replacement or repaired unit will have the same inferior quality bearings. Perhaps the bearings are good quality and there is a design issue; I don't know and the Vortech folks will never say.

One way or the other, it seems safe to say that it is simply a question of time before the bearings will have to be replaced on these. For the 'lucky ones' they'll fail early and you don't have to pay for it. For others, they'll last a little over a year and then fail.

Now, to be fair.... these pumps speed up and slow down endlessly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.....it's a LOT. However, if you're going to sell something that's *designed* for such a demanding application, and charge primo $$ for it, you'd better damned well be sure it can cut the mustard, so to speak !

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.