Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 PM

input80 is on a distinguished road
Default Reef Plumbing Experts?

I have a couple of questions for the experts in here:
1) can a Bean animal work correctly with 2x1.5" & 1z3/4" holes, or do they all have to be the same size?
2) with 3/4" bulkheads (returns), would it be fine to run 1" from the pump then reduce to 3/4" at the bulkheads & run a 3/4" pipe into the tank? or can I go 1"--> 3/4" at the bulkhead-->1" into the tank?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by input80 View Post
I have a couple of questions for the experts in here:
1) can a Bean animal work correctly with 2x1.5" & 1z3/4" holes, or do they all have to be the same size?
2) with 3/4" bulkheads (returns), would it be fine to run 1" from the pump then reduce to 3/4" at the bulkheads & run a 3/4" pipe into the tank? or can I go 1"--> 3/4" at the bulkhead-->1" into the tank?
1) it can work... how much does your return pump move/ hr? That will dictate if u use the 3/4" as part of 2 active drains or the emergency... If u use it as the emergency it may not be able to handle the flow.

2) reducing to 3/4 will restrict flow... After it is reduced it doesn't really matter if u stay at 3/4" or upsize to 1". Going back to 1" will result in more gentle flow at the outlet.
Cheers 😉
Old 08-29-2016, 02:55 AM

1)definitely not thinking the 3/4 for emergency
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Vanreefer nailed it.

I've generally found that anytime i go from a smaller pipe to a larger pipe in a return line you end up with micro bubbles. There is probably a way to reduce this with proper adapters, but general PVC ones have always given me micro bubbles.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The answer to #2 really depends on how much flow your return pump pushes. Check the manufacturer recommendations (should be in the instruction manual) to make sure that they recommend flow through 3/4". Usually the size of the outlet on the pump is a good sign - if it is a 1" outlet, chances are the manufacturer recommends 1" all the way from the pump to the tank with no restriction. The best bet if you can't find the information in the manual is to email the manufacturer for confirmation - most of them will reply to you within a few days.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM

Thank you Mindy, Unfortunately, the return holes in the overflow are already 3/4"; as I believe I went this route because loclines only go up to 3/4"? The pump is a Jebao/Jecod DCT-15000.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by input80 View Post
Thank you Mindy, Unfortunately, the return holes in the overflow are already 3/4"; as I believe I went this route because loclines only go up to 3/4"? The pump is a Jebao/Jecod DCT-15000.
Sorry I don't know anything about the Jebao line, and I don't think you'd be able to get a response from them either, but you could try! You're probably ok as long as you run the 1" all the way to the bulkhead (it has 1" output right?). That said, I'm not the manufacturer.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:26 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Run 1" too the tee where they split to either bulkhead. outta the 1" tee use bushings to reduce down to 3/4 run the 3/4 to the bulkheads.after the tee the flow is cut in half no need for 1" all the ways to bulkhead unless there is only one return hole and in that case there's no tee.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
Run 1" too the tee where they split to either bulkhead. outta the 1" tee use bushings to reduce down to 3/4 run the 3/4 to the bulkheads.after the tee the flow is cut in half no need for 1" all the ways to bulkhead unless there is only one return hole and in that case there's no tee.
Agreed. I was assuming a single return.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM

I'm not too sure that this belongs under pump specific, as it is not restricted to a pump?