Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default EcoTech MP40wes QD -driver only- upgrade review

Ok, thought I would start a new thread for this.

Originally I purchased one MP40wes (last gen) for my 36" long 65 gallon tank. Had it on Short Pulse wave mode at 100% power that created a 2 inch wave crest that made the LPS sway awesome. Looked so natural... until the wife asked "What the hell was all that noise?"
Needless to say, that didn't last long. Tried to turn Short Pulse down to 50% and then 30% but the Whir... whir... whir... was still driving the wife mental. It's been on Surf Crest at 75% for the last 4 months.
As you can see, the tank isn't far from the couch, or our heads.

Enter the upgrade from EcoTech!

Purchased one from Reef Supplies a couple weeks back and just got around to installing it today.

Installation was simple, so I won't be getting into that.

So let's see some test results.

For testing purposes, I downloaded a free app. I tested the ambient noise of the room, at around 6 feet from the tank.
The spike at 70dB was a car driving by. I think it was Gregzz4 in his truck!

Then I set up the old MP40wes on Short Pulse wave mode at 100% power. The phone was literally 12 inches from the dry side. 73dB.

After installing the new driver, I once again set it to Short Pulse wave mode, 100% power. 12 inches from the dry side.
The spikes are cars driving past the house.

Long story short, I would say the new driver does make the old MP40 quieter. This is using a free app downloaded on the phone. Not sure of the quality next to a stand alone noise meter.
Another note is, I have never touched the wet side of the MP40 since its first installation into the tank 5 months ago. It was straight out of the box and I have never cleaned it or applied fresh lube. That could have some bearing for those who do this regularly.
At this point I cannot say whether the investment is worth it or not. $117 is by no means a lot, compared to a new MP40wesQD.
To my ear, it does sound quieter, but the true test will come if the wife hears it.

I hope some of you can find this helpful. Happy Reefing!

Last edited by WarDog; 01-06-2016 at 06:36 AM.