Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Must be a mistake in the graph, if you draw a line from 5m and 0l/h to the point in the line where the slope changes you'll probably get closer to the right answer.

This is probably closer to reality

Last edited by sphelps; 11-14-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Carandiru is on a distinguished road

Well that knocks it down to 2 pumps. Blowhole will save a little cash and I was planning on drilling the 55 gallon Im using for a sump and the 90 gallon display tank upstairs (currently in use - I know I've got brass balls).

I've seen some reviews of the blowhole saying it's a great pump - some of the early prototypes having a problem with heat though. That is apparently corrected with the final release model.

The Waveline is a really nice pressure rated pump, but more than I wanted to spend honestly - to bad the 5000 model wasn't enough only max 10ft of head.

I'll probably go with the Blowhole. What would you do?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Panworld NH-150PS would be another good candidate for pushing water from basement. It is a pressure biased pump. I have one for future build and purchased the Panworld for that purpose. Although I've only run it briefly to check it out, seems like a solid product & reviews I"ve seen on them are generally positive. I've seen some Panworld DC voltage pumps as well, but not sure they're controllable as the Waveline is & what I've found is only smaller models, probably insufficient to lift the water from basement up one floor.

I also have a Poseidon(Velocity)PS4 which I may use during the winter since they are known to add some heat to the water they push. It's not as strong as the Panworld & flow biased as opposed to pressure biased, but according to the chart, it should be enough to lift sufficient flow from the basement. They are also among the most quiet external pumps available.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

You can't go wrong with a GenX pcx-40 (Mak 4). Mine pushes water up over 12' from my basement sump with no problems. Plus they're cheap enuff you could buy two for the price of the DC pump and keep one as a spare! It's pretty efficient too. Mine draws 122w at full load. Don't forget to plus size your return plumbing right after the pump outlet. This will reduce the pressure loss and give you more flow. I use 1 1/2" to the upstairs.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Carandiru is on a distinguished road

Cheers man just found out my sump has panes of all tempered glass so I have to go with a submersible pump. That leaves the Waveline. Gonna just pay for it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM

chatyak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I run two Waveline 10000s, both mine leaked slightly when I had them external so I've moved them internally. Seem like decent pumps so far but I'm not convinced on the flow rate, I have two running in parallel with minimal head pressure and it just doesn't seem like as much as you might expect considering they are rated at 2600gph each, still working on a way to measure what I'm getting cause I am curious.

Also there is no advanced controller yet AFAIK, the development of one has just been mentioned in some reviews. They are pretty quite, no real vibration just a bit of a motor hum. They ramp up slowly when turned on and the controller remembers your setting if shut off, both very nice features.
I heard the leak is caused by using the wrong o-ring or seal. Apparently a different "orange" one is needed from RLSS if being used externally. It's not included for some reason..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

I am running a waterblaster 7000 @ 11ft head from the basement and it is kicking out about 150gph.

Time will tell on its longevity.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carandiru View Post
Cheers man just found out my sump has panes of all tempered glass so I have to go with a submersible pump. That leaves the Waveline. Gonna just pay for it.
Perhaps the following rumor will affect your decision?

I have heard there will be a new DC12000 (and DC6000) released soon. Originally it was scheduled for release in late march, however it has been delayed until late April. The new pump is supposed to remedy both the leaking o-ring issues as well as the thread mismatch issue. The first batch in late April (if they don't have further delays) will have a standard controller available similar to the existing one; however there will be a new controller/interface released a few months later that will have Apex Aquacontroller (and possibly other controller) bi-directional communications via USB (NOT RJ45). This means you will be able to control the speed of the pump via aftermarket hardware without the need for a VDM module, but even better you will be able to view pump RPM, and possibly temp and other diagnostics via your AquaController (and other?) interface and thus setup alarms to alert you if there are issues. The new WaveLine controller/interface will be available as a separate purchase and will be readily swapped out on the DC12000 but not on earlier generation pumps (ie you won't be able to make your DC10000 controllable via an Apex or other external unit).

There is talk of a 'relatively easy' hack on the DC10000 that will make it 0-10v controllable, but you can do your own research on that .

To my knowledge this information has not been officially released by Waveline so treat it as rumor. Also, I don't sell, represent or own any of these pumps, I am just very interested in what they are doing.

I plan on running a pair of them as return pumps, one on each side of my tank. I will run them anti-sync with around a 30 second ramp from 20-80% and back down to 20%, the idea being to create surge while maintaining redundant return pumps and eliminate or reduce the need for circ pumps. One note of cuation though, they have a 30 second ramp time built in to the on board controller for slow startup, so you can't run them to generate a wave as they will auto ramp up slowly on their own.

As an aside, you can look up Diablo DC pumps. The design seems to be identical and I suspect the flow graphs to be the same as well.

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!

Last edited by FragIt Dan; 03-12-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

DC20000 too! Blog post regarding gen2 RLSS pumps: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/blo...line-dc-pumps/

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!