Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between mp40 and mp40w

What exactly is the difference between the vortech mp40 and mp40w?

Also, can you connect vortech pumps via single controller?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

MP40 was the original version of the pump and it's unlikely you will find too many of those around anymore, certainly not new. The MP40W means the pump has a 'wireless' communication capability, so if you have multiple pumps, one can be set up as the Master and it will send a wireless signal to one or more Slave pumps to control their speed/mode. This capability is built into each MP40W driver (controller). Essentially the Master becomes a transmitter and any Slave pump is a receiver. I think they use Bluetooth technology since the pump drivers need to be within line of sight and no more than about 10 feet apart for them to function wirelessly. An older MP40 driver would only be able to control it's own pump, no others.

Not sure what you mean by 'connect via single controller' but as mentioned, each MP40W has it's own driver/controller and will not function without it. EcoTech has recently provided developer kits to third party controller manufacturers such as Neptune (I think) so the ability to control the pumps that way will soon be available. Personally I don't see the point, for me the VorTech provides sufficient functionality through its own driver right out of the box.

The MP20 is essentially the same as the MP40 with the same wet and dry sides, but a different driver and power supply that only allows it to run at about half the speed of an MP40. It does not have the wireless capability either, nor does the new smaller MP10. However, the MP20 can be upgraded to MP40W configuration with a new driver and power supply available as a kit from EcoTech.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-28-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

cool. Thanks. Does anybody know where I can get an mp40 to mp40w driver upgrade?