Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan View Post
At first I would dose half the recommended dosing and over a period of 2-3 weeks work your way up to the full dosing amounts. Also, I would wait to use spur2 until your tank has adjusted to the ZEO system.
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. When first starting Zeovit it is very important to get the bacteria established. Follow the ZeoGuide based on your tank and dose are recommended. Then over time you can cut back.

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

Use those only for at least the first 2 rock changes. Then you could begin adding other Zeo components. Most popular are Amino Acid, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, and Sponge power

J
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I buy the dry calcium from a LFS and mix the ca with RODI in a 1L pop bottle to keep on hand ready.

I also keep a bottle of baked baking soda mixed with RODI in a 1L pop bottle incase I need to play with my KH/PH but typically it stays level at 7dkh and my PH hovers between 7.8 and 8.1 from morning to night.

I also keep a box of epsom Salts on hand incase I need a bump of mg but I find RBS salt keeps the params pretty stable with the weekly water changes.
Can I ask what brand of Epsom salts you use?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. When first starting Zeovit it is very important to get the bacteria established. Follow the ZeoGuide based on your tank and dose are recommended. Then over time you can cut back.

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

Use those only for at least the first 2 rock changes. Then you could begin adding other Zeo components. Most popular are Amino Acid, Coral Vitalizer, Coral Snow, and Sponge power

J
Hey Jason, you know more than me about ZEO but from my experiences so far, I would recommend Coral Snow from the beginning. With my first set up of ZEO, I did not use it and got cyano pretty bad. This time I did use it as advised and do not have any cyano. I don't for sure if its the coral snow that has kept the ZEO away but I kind of think it must be.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:32 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I betcha the horse is cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Hey good work dude. I don't even want to know how much it costs to run my setup and yours is much bigger. I sure don't need my wife knowing either. We have an understanding I guess..... I don't know how much her horse costs per month. Damn hayburners .
Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 AM

FlamesFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
great thread. what type of carbon, brand name, and what brand of salt does everyon run with their zeovit system?
thanks
I run a LFS home brand carbon. For salt I have been using Seachem. It is very high in potassium so it saves on the dosing cost of the K-Balance product from ZEO. I do a 5% water change weekly and it keeps my potassium right where it needs to be.

To answer the Ca question, I use the bulkreefsupply Ca/Alk/Mg kit which I dose about 100ml a week of Ca/Alk and it keeps my Ca at 420-440 and my Alk at 7.0 - 7.5
Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 AM

FlamesFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post

Start with
ZeoLith
ZeoBac
ZeoFood7
ZeoStart2

J
I was just repeating what was told to me by a ZEO admin on their forums when I posted a thread with my systems info and how I was starting ZEO on an established system.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I just started using Coral snow yesterday after about 2 weeks with Zeo. I think the coral snow is amazing ofter the clouds went away the water was super clear! Amazing stuff.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Can I ask what brand of Epsom salts you use?
Would love to hear more about this as well!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys I missed the original questions.

I am using a brand called Equate. It's in a blue 1L milk carton looking package. I picked it up at Walmart.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 AM

OK Zeo Masters I'm switching salt and was wondering should I use KZ's or H2Ocean? Any opinions either way would be appreciated.
Thanks