Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Imagine there being a problem with wild caught fish so a petition is put out that keeping any fish be banned in the City of Calgary. Is it better to sign this petition or do nothing. I would suggest in regards to such a petition the answer is to do nothing with the petition and send your Councillor some better suggestions.
mmmmm slightly different I think but if an obvious problem came up relating to wild caught fish causing a problem like overpopulation or even ocean depletion and a petition was issued to not ban all wild caught fish but introduce some better regulation then yeah I'd sign. The petition in question by no means has the goal to completely bans puppies. It's major goal is to prevent BYB and online sales from such. Pet stores will do just fine working with rescues and reputable breeders, most probably do already.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
I did read it. I was only making sure, trying to save you heartbreak my friend.
sorry my first comment I made was a bit arrogant on my part. But I see where you are coming from. People should know about common issues with dogs. Like boston's and bulldogs with respiratory issues which can be a costly vet bill.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

The petition we are discussing from a few pages back states "Enact a Municipal bylaw prohibiting the sale of companion animals(ie dogs and cats) on all public and commercial properties" How that is not stopping reputable Pet Stores is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
mmmmm slightly different I think but if an obvious problem came up relating to wild caught fish causing a problem like overpopulation or even ocean depletion and a petition was issued to not ban all wild caught fish but introduce some better regulation then yeah I'd sign. The petition in question by no means has the goal to completely bans puppies. It's major goal is to prevent BYB and online sales from such. Pet stores will do just fine working with rescues and reputable breeders, most probably do already.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mmmmm slightly different I think but if an obvious problem came up relating to wild caught fish causing a problem like overpopulation or even ocean depletion and a petition was issued to not ban all wild caught fish but introduce some better regulation then yeah I'd sign.
There is no difference. It's a ban.

BTW...there is a problem with ocean depletion and habitat degredation with the collection of some ornamentals.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
The petition we are discussing from a few pages back states "Enact a Municipal bylaw prohibiting the sale of companion animals(ie dogs and cats) on all public and commercial properties" How that is not stopping reputable Pet Stores is beyond me.
Simple:
Quote:
Exemptions to the by-law shall include adoption events that are approved by the Mayor or that are sponsored by or located on the property of an approved rescue group or rescue individual.
No reason an "adoption event" can't be on going. A pet store will likely be able to get permanent exemption by continuously working with rescue organizations. Further down the road I would expect to see better regulation on breeders which will also allow pet stores to work with breeders as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
There is no difference. It's a ban.

BTW...there is a problem with ocean depletion and habitat degredation with the collection of some ornamentals.
Not really... Will you still be able to get a dog?

And yes but there are regulations all ready in place, you can't just go to the ocean and start harvesting and selling livestock, not legally anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM

You really believe the goal would be better regulation and would have an exemtion for Pet Stores? Come on already. A more realistic goal of this campaign would be to increase the ban on pets other than dogs and cats which could eventually lead to this industry.

Quote:
Simple:

No reason an "adoption event" can't be on going. A pet store will likely be able to get permanent exemption by continuously working with rescue organizations. Further down the road I would expect to see better regulation on breeders which will also allow pet stores to work with breeders as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You really believe the goal would be better regulation and would have an exemtion for Pet Stores? Come on already. A more realistic goal of this campaign would be to increase the ban on pets other than dogs and cats which could eventually lead to this industry.
Yeap! The goal is clearly to prevent BYB and overpopulation not put pet stores out of business.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Then why not put that right there in the petition and leave out the commercial business part and I would bet that most people in the Pet Industry would be right behind you. And forget the ban part, put in restrictions and guidelines which reputatable Pet Stores already follow.

Quote:
Yeap! The goal is clearly to prevent BYB and overpopulation not put pet stores out of business.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Hey Phelps here is the post that started this debate. They are clearly not out to ban puppy sale at Pet Stores!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
Hi guys !

Long time no see.

Glad to see people are finally starting to take action regarding pet stores that sell puppies:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Where to go to sign the petition:

http://www.actionsspeakloudercalgary.ca/

Deb