Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Talk to Colby at Bayside in Saskatoon. Every so often he brings in true tank raised horses from Australia which are by far the best ones too get. I've kept a two pairs at different times in different setups, both very successful and I did keep various corals and some other fish with them (to me this would suggest my success wasn't based on luck). These particular horses are actually easy to care for, they cost a little more but worth it for sure.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately Seahorse Sanctuary stopped producing seahorses earlier this year and it will not be possible to get those seahorses anymore.
We're awaiting the possible replacement by another company from Australia but at the moment I am not aware of it actually happening yet.
In the meantime, Blue World Aquatic in Edmonton brings in TRUE captive bred reidi seahorses and has also arranged to bring in TRUE captive bred erectus and zostera later this year.
BWA will be the ONLY source in Canada for these erectus and zostera.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

That's the worst news I've heard since I sold all my livestock, perfect!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

well if i do attempt seahorses i can guaronte they wont be going in my 50g i can barely keep the tank below 80 with the fans.. but i do have a nice 20g sitting around that if i do decide to try them i will set up a straight sehorse only tank just for them at the proper temps. i have to take a break from all this reading tho. getting information overload.

step back take a breath start again

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

To be honest, a twenty is not an easy size to maintain for a pair of normal seahorses, and is too large for dwarfs, unless you have a pile of them.
Best to start with a 29/30g for normal size and that will hold one pair. For each additional pair you need an additional 15g of tank.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

yeah the more i read the more im discouraged of the idea... they are such intriguing animals yes better left in thier habitat. i can readily get 35 gallon, if i wanted but no place to set it up at this time. so i think for now i will just keep researching. and plan for a future possibility. thank kyou all for your input and enlightenment.

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I was really pumped to get a couple as they are pretty cool creatures. I found them very boring and require too much care after getting them and I also did alot of research. I get alot more enjoyment out of my reef tank. But to each their own.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:46 PM

zenafish is on a distinguished road

Each species has its own needs. My suggestion would be, base on the equipment you're planning to provide, identify a species and check for availability (main supplies now are reidi for CB, soon hopefully erectus, as Ray already mentioned Aussie CB we're out of luck), modify your equipment list as needed, and research lots and lots about the species. Meanwhile, cycle and prep your tank.

There are more readily available seahorses but they're more risky. These would be tank raised (could be just as bad as wild) kudas (mainly through Big Al's or Ocean Direct online i.e. NAFB here in Toronto), which you might end up with all different species, and they might not eat frozen readily.

Safe to say the research process (along with cycling a tank) would easily take up 2-3 months.

Hopefully by that time BWA will have their CB erectus in stock

** Taking a break (per say) from the hobby, but keeping a selected few seahorses to show and tell. Bye bye fishroom and hello display tank :S