Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 AM

1eyedjyde is on a distinguished road
Default Yellow tang bit off more then it can chew

This evening I noticed my yellow tang was swimming around with its mouth open and something hanging out. Upon closer inspection it looks like the empty shell of a bubble algea and in its mouth is another bubble in tact. It doesn't appear to be overly stressed at the moment, seems to be breathing normally (maybe slightly faster then normal but not rapid) and comes out for food, just cant eat anything.

I feel I should wait a couple days to see if the bubble bursts on its own and then if that doesn't happen attempt to capture it and manually remove the bubble with tweezers.

Has anyone seen this before? and should I do anything differently?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Closest I've come is a trigger with a crab claw stuck to his mouth. I had to catch him to cut it off. If you've got to do that, use a wet towel to hold it down.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the feed back. It would deffinately make the fish easier to handle with the towel.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Everything seems to have sorted itself out overnight so all is well for now... not sure which way the bubble went.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

I mean no offense by this, but just a tip from my experience.
I've had Koi all my life; they are my pride and soul. And whenever I have to treat any of them for ulcers or fin rot or anything, I have always been successful using latex or rubber gloves dipped in tank water instead of a towel. Only because a towel is very likely to damage their slime coat which is detrimental in a time of stress such as having something stuck in their mouth :P The latex or rubber gloves (Not dry though! Must be wet with tank water - in my case pond water) help to reduce any removal of the fishes slime coat.

The reason I say gloves and not your bare hands is because our natural oils can eat away at their slime coat also. And its cleaner for you that way too; also very easy to hold the fish down

And placing the fish down on plastic wrap (saran wrap) which is wet with aquarium or pond water helps too (instead of a dry surface such as a table or plate or whatever you choose to use).

Just some of my personal experience for others to use down the road