Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

From the sounds of it you bought Lego's tank, which used to belong to heyfredyourhat. Those were their screen names anyways.

Two 250W pendants should be fine to grow anything anywhere in a tank that size. The quality of the reflector will make a big difference though.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 AM

1eyedjyde is on a distinguished road

I think the tank has been around for a while but a little TLC and it should be back in business. As far as the lighting goes that is kinda what I figured, at this point I have the one pendant over the 30 gal temp tank and judging by how well it lights up the room there should be plenty of light with 2 on 120 gal.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Just a quick update on the progress.

The stand has been sanded and painted and the tank cleaned up. I just dropped off the tank to have the holes for the close loop and left drain drilled so I should be able to pick the tank up tomorrow. I have all the bulk heads I will need so it is just a matter of plumbing everything up. Hopefully I will be able to leak test everything next week and move the tank into the house on the following weekend.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 AM

update for this week, All the holes have been drilled, and the stand has been painted. I've also just built my 2 overflow overflow boxes so hopefully this weekend I will get those installed. I have also got the plan together for the plumbing layout for the close loop and 2 drains so I will be picking up some plumbing supplies tomorrow. I will try and get some pics up of the progress.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM

couple of shots from yesterday. I still have to paint the back of the tank, and finish up the plumbing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7697788...in/photostream

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 AM

The painted stand is a big improvement. Do you plan on adding some doors to the front? I remember Jason had just used a window blind to cover the opening.

Useless fun fact for today: The skimmer waste collector was built by Lance and has been passed around town a bit over the years.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Yes I plan on building some doors for the stand, they will have to wait though because I have to build some doors for some other shelving units in the house so I will build them all together. Good to know about that skimmer it may be old but it still works well.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 AM

So this tank move has turned into more of a tank "build" however on the plus side I now have a crash course in reef keeping. So far no losses in the temp 30 gal and have learned a few leasons on "scaping". I am now starting to see some good blue coraline growth and the coral that came with the tank has even seen some growth although I am gurently battling with hair algea which I think Im winning that one.

The 120gal is now in the house on the stand and plumbed, I'm waiting on a seal kit for the snapper so hopfully that will be comming shortly. The old live rock is cycling away in a rubermade bin so once that is complete it will be time to fill up the tank again.

I ended up modifying the sump to relocate the skimmer to the drain side and added some baffles for a bubble trap and to keep the water level uniform at the skimmer. At this time I have also raised the skimmer about 5" off the bottom the sump.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Its recommended not to use ABS plumbing on our aquariums. During manufacturing they add something to the plastic to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the pipe. Its not a really potent effect so you can get away with a little but it might not be a good idea to have all of your plumbing done with it. If I didn't need to leave for work right away I'd find some information for you... but I'm running short on time so maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM