Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
^^why do you have to go to Thailand to buy when they have it here and can ship to your door.

Bryant those pics are super impressive. Damn now I got pills to last a lifetime of bryopsis outbreaks!
Just because i go back home evey year
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

I dosed the fluconazole on January 21. Here is the progress up to today. A reminder that I had been aggressively dosing Vibrant in November and December, so the bryopsis was weakened by the Vibrant. As you can see in the third picture, the bryopsis is literally melting away.

January 23

January 24

January 26
Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
According to Wiki, Fluconazole is a Perscription drug in Canada and the US. However, if you continue reading it says this: Fluconazole is sold as a single 150 mg dose over the counter in Canada under the brand names Monicure / Monistat and Canesten.
Lol @ $15-20 a pop!!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I dosed my 38 gallon tank last night that I have had bryopsis for over 10 years in that tank thanks to Bryant (Go Fish). 600mg. We will see how well it works. I have not dosed Vibrant in the tank like the others.

I have turned off the GFO, removed the skimmer cup and dimmed the lights.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I dosed my 38 gallon tank last night that I have had bryopsis for over 10 years in that tank thanks to Bryant (Go Fish). 600mg. We will see how well it works. I have not dosed Vibrant in the tank like the others.

I have turned off the GFO, removed the skimmer cup and dimmed the lights.
No worries Glen. You could've used 380mg based on some other experiences but 600mg should definitely do the trick. Try to take a before and after pic if possible? You can email it to me to host if that's easier for you
Old 01-26-2017, 11:42 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
I dosed the fluconazole on January 21. Here is the progress up to today. A reminder that I had been aggressively dosing Vibrant in November and December, so the bryopsis was weakened by the Vibrant. As you can see in the third picture, the bryopsis is literally melting away.
That's awesome thanks for the update!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 AM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
That's awesome thanks for the update!
It is my pleasure to report the results. Now, if only we knew of any long term repercussions. My understanding is that an individual did the application in early November and has seen no negative consequences since then. This is promising because water changes and activated carbon should replace the fluconazole over time. This is a very promising discovery.

I do 5g daily water change, but turned it off from January 21 until today. I removed the activated carbon and turned my skimmer off for 3 days. I will put the activated carbon back in after I see the bryopsis gone.

I will admit, there is a sadistic pleasure in watching this stuff go bye bye. The tank is a 400g (8 ft long) and I have been focusing on 2 foot section to show what is happening. Thank you @GoFish for the translation and publishing.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 AM

Default is on a distinguished road

FYI Fluconazole can be bought OTC as its used to treat yeast infections for women. Its only sold as Diflucan one here incanada.
Monistat is miconazole nitrate..

Last edited by Default; 01-27-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:32 AM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road

Started does this afternoon ... so far so good .. fish,coral,shrimp,starfish,nudis all okay. ..

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 05:55 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Not meaning to derail this thread, but has anyone with a bryopsis/valonia issue tried raising nitrates?
I found by doing so the 'whatever' bacteria started consuming 'whatever' and my phosphates dropped ... to the point where I had to start over-feeding my fish to keep levels up enough for my corals.
I've since taken both my carbon and gfo reactors offline and still have nearly no algae - to the point where it's not worth my time to scrape the glass anymore.

I started with 0 NO3 and 0.09 PO4.
I dosed 5mls Seachem Nitrogen liquid for 3 days. NO3 rose too fast to 10. Then PO4 dropped to 0.03. Corals started some STN. Stopped dosing and waited a few days. On and on it went.
Finally found a balance and now test PO4 and NO3 weekly to adjust Nitrogen dosing - which has lately been only once a week instead of daily.