Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Reef Supplies

Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2-part Soda Ash and Calcium in BULK NOW AVAILABLE

Hi everyone,

As some of you may already have heard, we have been working on our own bulk 2-part additives. After 1 year of searching and testing and searching and testing and searching and testing and……we have finally found what we feel is the purest ALK in the industry.

Calcium

This one was easy. As we know, some of you have successfully used "driveway heat" snow melter to dose CA in your reef tanks. So it's safe to say that our 98% pure pharm grade Calcium Chloride is up to the task. We have purchased it from an aquarium supplier that most of us already use products from. This stuff has been on the market for years, we simply buy it in bulk.

Soda Ash / Alkalinity

This one was a PIA to say the least. You would not believe how many different grades of soda ash there are out there. Most are ok to use……well, ok if you don't mind the occasional cyano outbreak. While others are just plain scary heh!

How did we test? We field tested and lab tested.

After 4 or 5 failed field testes we decided to have them lab tested. The failed field tests did not harm any coral (keep in mind that they were short term test) but caused cyano outbreaks. Some were controllable while others were down right disastrous.

So rather than wasting time testing we opted to get them lab tested. There is a local reefer on one of the french boards in town that has lab tested a bunch of additives, salt mixes, test kits…etc. We noticed that he was testing ALK mixes from the usual suspects so we figured we would have ours tested as well.

We sent him the best soda ash we had and it came back negative. It ranked among the worst, it didn't even rank in the top 5. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD :-(

So back to searching and testing and searching and testing and searching and testing and….. :-)

Here we are one year later and we have found what we feel is the best most pure soda ash in our hobby. The tests came back shockingly positive. We have the chart and we will be posting the results.

Our competitors Soda Ash / ALK additives are also on this chart. Please keep in mind that these are not our tests but the test of a hoobiest. We frankly do not care how pure their alk is, all we wanted to know is now pure ours is. Even though this cart is readily available we will still blackout their names as we do not want to crap on our competitors. We also do not want to give anyone the wrong impression, just because the reading of a certain element is high, it does not mean it will kill your corals. Many people have been using these products successfully for years.

I will post the chart once we black out the names :-)

To make a long story short. Our CA and ALK is on line and available is to sizes. Please view the links below

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...5-gallons.html
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...-1-gallon.html

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...-5-gallon.html
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...-1-gallon.html

Here is a link to all our bulk supplies: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/bulk-reef/

Thanks for taking the time to read my long ASH thread! Contact us if you have any questions.

Happy reefing!

http://www.reefsupplies.ca

Last edited by Reef Supplies; 10-29-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Why no bulk magnesium Ray?

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Why no bulk magnesium Ray?
High grade magnesium is very difficult to source.

It's just so damn expensive.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
High grade magnesium is very difficult to source.

It's just so damn expensive.
Yah. B-ionic's 2 part and Mg is almost the same price Apparently, my wc cannot replace the Mg consumption enough and I need to dose. And with brands, it becomes quite expensive.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Vendor

Correct, it is indeed hard to source. We want something that won't mess up your ionic balance so we need both MgCl2.6h2O and MgSO4. That is 2 times the headache of the soda ash.

With that being said, we are working on it. We are working on 2 and 3 part combo kits, the 3 part will include ESV mag.

thanks,

Ray

Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Supplies View Post
Correct, it is indeed hard to source. We want something that won't mess up your ionic balance so we need both MgCl2.6h2O and MgSO4. That is 2 times the headache of the soda ash.

With that being said, we are working on it. We are working on 2 and 3 part combo kits, the 3 part will include ESV mag.

thanks,

Ray
Sweet! When can we expect it to be available?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Sweet! When can we expect it to be available?
Considering ALK took us a year..... :-)

In all seriousness, our own MG won't be for a while. The combo kits, some time this week.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Supplies View Post
Considering ALK took us a year..... :-)

In all seriousness, our own MG won't be for a while. The combo kits, some time this week.

Thanks
Nice

Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

I currently dose Bulk Reef Supply's two part system. I'm assuming they will be on your list as I'm pretty sure they're the biggest and most well known two part provider to the reefing community in North America at this point.

I'd love to be buying Canadian and would happily switch as long as the product is similar. I'm curious, is this product the same. Will the dosing amounts for 5 gallons of your chemicals have the same effect as 5 gallons of theirs?

If I'm dosing 150ml a day of BRS Solution ... will it be comparable to the amount of your solution I will have to dose for the same impact on my parameters?

Thanks Ray!! Looking forward to saving on some shipping !

--Tyler
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Vendor

Hi,

It is very very hard for me to say that they are the same. We have not tested nor ever worked with their products. One of the only things that can differ is the density. Our 5 gallon mix weighs right around 2.4KG.

With that being said, there are always adjustments to make when changing products. Be expecting a slight increase or decrease in dosing regimen.

What you can do is test both products before dosing. For example, fill up two 3 litter bottles with RODI water and add 1ML our stuff in one and 1ML of a comparable in the other and test the KH in both. So if our stuff is +/- 5% for example, you dial in your ML/day according to that.

thanks,

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I currently dose Bulk Reef Supply's two part system. I'm assuming they will be on your list as I'm pretty sure they're the biggest and most well known two part provider to the reefing community in North America at this point.

I'd love to be buying Canadian and would happily switch as long as the product is similar. I'm curious, is this product the same. Will the dosing amounts for 5 gallons of your chemicals have the same effect as 5 gallons of theirs?

If I'm dosing 150ml a day of BRS Solution ... will it be comparable to the amount of your solution I will have to dose for the same impact on my parameters?

Thanks Ray!! Looking forward to saving on some shipping !

--Tyler