Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Rubicon is on a distinguished road
Default Biocube 29

So I'm getting back into my little reef again after the move. This time I'm wanting to do it once and try to stay away from the upgrade to a larger tank. So far I've got my stock cube, 22 ish lbs of dry rock ( broken up to fit better), dry sand (10lbs), I picked up the intank media rack and fuge ( the fuge, not sure if I'm gonna use it yet) and a rapid led retrofit dimmable led kit ( so I can keep the hood), plus I've got an ATO from my old tank.

Things still need to find are gonna be a heater and a chiller (the house sits facing south and I have a dark floor, water sitting in a cup gets very hot in the summer so the tank will get too hot during those months), some power heads, controller for the led ( thinking of a storm x) as well I'm thinking of doing a larger return pump with a Y lineloc to help with the flow behind of the rock work. Thinking of a skimmer, tunze fits with the media rack or fuge but not both or going with a aquaticlife115 in chamber 1 and keeping a fuge.

As for the overall hopes/thoughts are I want to do a mixed reef with it, not sure of fish or coral yet as that is a bit farther down the road need to get it wet and cycled before I can think of that.

So what else do I need to think of/find to help with my tank, what have I forgotten?
Thank

Last edited by Rubicon; 02-28-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM

Bump any ideas for what I need?
I picked up a bluefish so now i can control the leds, got the retrofit kit installed, just a few more wires to clean up and it will be good. Still need to figure out a heater/chiller and a few powerheads before it gets wet.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you want. I have a nanocube so its not exactly the same.

Flow behind the rock is the challenge. So far I have not found anything that works. I would like to get an elbow and point the flow down but I can't find fittings that are the correct size. Mine has two return pumps and I've found the overflow can't really handle them both being on. Something to keep in mind when considering a larger return pump.

Most skimmers don't allow you to open the lid. I went with a HOB skimmer because it didn't get in the way, but I had two pumps get hot and melt. I don't run a skimmer anymore.

I have had no issues with the JBJ chiller that mine came with. I've been using it now for about 8 years. It has saved me a couple times when heaters have failed and stuck on.

I currently use a jebao powerhead for flow. It is small and has strong flow. Also, not crazy expensive.

Good Luck!

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM

daddycline is on a distinguished road

I ran an aquatic life 115 skimmer in the first section and it worked great, 2 240gph korelia powerheads. one flowing the same direction as the output just on the other side and one just below the output facing behind rockwork, had zero deadspots.

Last edited by daddycline; 03-21-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forgot pwoerhead comment
Old 03-22-2017, 06:09 PM

Thanks guys, the hobby moves forward at alarming speed sometimes, and we get left behind with old ideas
Almost done with the lights, just got to make the controller wiring done and that's it, then off to powerheads, heater and I'm looking for a chiller that will fit into the stand. Trying to keep it looking super clean and tidy.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

One thing to consider is making the chiller easy to remove from the stand for maintenance. I used to keep mine in the stand but it was a pain. Maybe with a couple valves and unions it wouldn't have been an issue, but I got sick of it and started keeping it off to the side.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 AM

daddycline is on a distinguished road

may not need a chiller, I had a south facing room with mine. led lights and never had a heat issue. ato was more important in my mind. that third chamber evaporates pretty fast in summer
Old 04-07-2017, 02:54 PM

I haven't been able to find a good deal on a chiller yet, so I'm gonna try running it with out and see how it does! Still missing the heater and a few power heads but I'm getting closer to getting this thing wet! Leds are done and working, hood is back on, the back chambers are finished ( intank racks installed). I still need to buy a skimmer, but I will have a bit of time before I need to get that. Still on the fence if I want to keep the fuge, as that opens up skimmer choices for me. Goal is to have water in it before I go back on shift next week.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 AM

Well I haven't really update this in awhile, well since July. So I have water in it again, it ran hot in the summer time, but keeping the lid open helped a bit, but not quite enough for me. I'll be looking for a chiller for next summer.
As for a skimmer I picked up a fuval sea mini, it seems to be working out ok, maybe not as good as others but it was in the correct price range. I've pulled the fuge out to fit the skimmer in, but I really didn't use it as a fuge.
I was battling algae for a bit but I finally got that under control, Manuel removal during water changes, and scrubbing the rock at the same time cleared it up, plus I think adding to the cuc helped out a lot.
I have a couple of fish in it now, (1 clown and 2 banggai) a skunk shrimp for live stock, as well as the cuc. Just started putting in some corals was waiting for it to stabilize out a bit more before I started putting the in.
Anyways just as update I'll try and get a tank shot up, maybe tomorrow with the lights on.