Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 AM

rickcasa is on a distinguished road

Will your reactor produce an endless supply that can be dosed directly to the dt/fuge or are they made in batches and bottled for later use?

It looks commercial and sleek.
"The Cavernous Reef" - 180g RC Build In-Progress: Miracles (72x24x24) 3-Sided Starphire; 2X exterior overflows; closed loop w Speedwave 1320; SRO 3000int; Speedwave 2640 return; Aquatronica controller with 3x dosing pumps; 2X Maxspect Razor 160w; 2X MP40wes, 2X MP20; 54" acrylic sump with ATS. Corner 90g Reef.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM

mameroo2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromwindsor View Post
wow! so 4 different kinds mixed together or indivudally added to tank? how much do you put in tank & how often?
I do have 6 different species of phytoplankton,
I do culture all my species on individual reactors. Every species required different need .
In live phytoplankton there is no overdosing but I'll say approximately 2ml a day par gallon .
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcasa View Post
Will your reactor produce an endless supply that can be dosed directly to the dt/fuge or are they made in batches and bottled for later use?

It looks commercial and sleek.
I do produce live food for my live stock and I do help other stores with live food.
My system keep growing up as I keep upgrade the system .
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Great setup. I'm just curious what strains you'd recommend to the average reefer that wants to do a more basic setup because of lack of room? Does it make sense to have just one or two more common strains or?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Great setup. I'm just curious what strains you'd recommend to the average reefer that wants to do a more basic setup because of lack of room? Does it make sense to have just one or two more common strains or?
U can use one or two pop clear bottles or buy clear drink dispenser from welmart acrylic or glass all will work as long it's clear
Use starter culture off live nannochlorpsis (green phytoplankton) and F2 fertilizer
Search on YouTube culture live phytoplankton
Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Oh sorry. I didn't exactly mean a cheaper setup cuz I really line your reactors. I just mean if you didn't have room to setup 4 or 5 different reactors, which strains of phyto would you say are better to use instead of others.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Oh sorry. I didn't exactly mean a cheaper setup cuz I really line your reactors. I just mean if you didn't have room to setup 4 or 5 different reactors, which strains of phyto would you say are better to use instead of others.
Nannochloropsis is easy to culture as its need minumum mantinant
Isochrysis need strong light
This two phytoplanktons are the best in breeding fry fish , and for reef tank
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I was at frag fest and have seen the posts and pictures of your setup and I'm quite impressed. Do you culture Rotifers? Also curious about the phyto seems everyone is culturing there own these days. How many systems of yours are kicking around the city and what do you do to reduce crashes?

I'm am toying with the idea of trying my hand in raising some clown fry from my clownfish just to try to challenge myself.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Phyto, Copepods, rotifiers

thank you very much for the SWAP at FragFest! I was the fella that sold ya the LEDs, protein skimmer etc. for a trade....

Must say, I have gotten phyto , rotifiers, and copepods from you before and found no ill effects from feeding live! My coral and tank in general are super thriving and the coral color is intense. And I run a Nano-tank...I keep up with precise feeding amounts and a regular regimen that ive finally found success with MY tank. Very cool wut u r doing. I will be hitting ya up wen th house is finished being built and I have my ManCave/Aquariium setup in place!!!!

thanks again. Great demo at FragFest. I hope others r seeing the HUGE benefits from feeding live!!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
Hey,

I was at frag fest and have seen the posts and pictures of your setup and I'm quite impressed. Do you culture Rotifers? Also curious about the phyto seems everyone is culturing there own these days. How many systems of yours are kicking around the city and what do you do to reduce crashes?

I'm am toying with the idea of trying my hand in raising some clown fry from my clownfish just to try to challenge myself.
I'm not sure how many system kicking around as I never account them lol.
I do have 12 phytoplankton reactors running with 6 different species off phytoplankton , I do culture Rotifers , 3 species copepods, amphipods and brine shrimps .
My next project is breeding live mysis as I'm working on my mysis system .
To avoid phytoplankton crash u will need to sterilize everything, to/DI water, equpment .
I use pure alcohol to sterilize all my equpment after that washe it with hot tap water , the alcohol will evaporate on 30c temp .
My RO/DI I use ozoneizer for about 5~10 minut before use .
I'm planing on adding uv sterilizer to my RO/DI unite outlet to avoide the ozone.