Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-04-2002, 06:59 PM

russell is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

What's Big Al's like in Calgary? I guess were getting one in Edmonton. Not sure about another chain of LFS' opening up. I can't imagine it'll be much worse than what we already have though.
TIA... Duaine
Old 09-04-2002, 07:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Big Al's??

Well ... I'd rate them as "so-so." Some days they are not bad. Certainly a good place to get dry goods and frozen foods and stuff like that; but livestock selection is variable from month to month, sometimes interesting things are in, sometimes not (depends on what floats your boat). They do seem to have a fair selection of fish every time I go in (and a decent selection of fresh water plants and fresh water fish all the time).
Old 09-04-2002, 07:45 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

Decent selection as Tony mentioned but poor tank maintainance IMO.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:28 PM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

I now get my dry goods including food (OSI & ESV) from MOPS. I find that I have to plan my purchase about one week in advance, but I am trying to get out of the "I need it now syndrome." :D

Good service, no problems.

Big Al's is still an interesting walk about.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:10 PM

fishnut is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

Having compared both service and prices at mail order stores and lfs, I have found the mail order to be superior every time.

I have ordered extensively from MOPS, and have no complaints.

Also had prompt service and delivery from jl.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:35 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

As Tony says, things are very variable there. I once picked up a coral there they called Baby Leather. It has grown very well, and Tony has a frag. I am still waiting for someone to positively identify it. How about it Tony?? :confused:

[ 04 September 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]
Old 09-05-2002, 12:39 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Big Al's??

It does look to be some kind of leather I think. To ID it better though I guess I'll need to do some homework.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

About Big Al's. I don't know what to say about their tank maintenance. Some days it looks not too bad, other days though ... but to be fair I have this complaint about just about every LFS I ever visit. Who wants to look at dead or dying or sick livestock? I mean, sheesh. Ok, so I recognize that unfortunately, stuff dies whether it's out in display or hidden. But if it does, clean it up before something spreads to the other tankmates! And if you're trying to revive something because "maybe it has a chance to recover" that's fine and cool and all, but do in a proper hospital environment, not a "all displayed livestock is for sale" environment. But like I said, I haven't really seen any LFS that isn't guilty of this. I was so embarrassed when Jon & I took Rob Toonen to Wai's and there in one of his tanks were two dead spider crabs floating at the surface of one of the tanks. I was just there a couple of days ago and was horrified to see lateral line on several fish, several dead or dying fish making their last few gasps, and a floating horseshoe crab. Who wants to buy from a store like this? And Wai's is one of the better reputations for "nice stuff" in town. <shudder> If that's one of the "good ones" then what utter horrors must be happening in the "not so good ones" ?? :eek:

Oh my, this has turned into quite a rant. I do apologize. This is something I just wanted to get off my chest. Thanks for reading this all the way, if you haven't given up on this post already ... ;)
Old 09-05-2002, 01:23 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Default Big Al's??

Well Tony, I have found that dead and dying fish are a relatively common occurrence at Wai's. That in itself is not unusual. I have asked Daniel about that, and his reply was "They are just fish". Does that tell you anything?