Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for livestock ideas for office nano

Ive got an old Biocube 14 that I've converted to LEDs (26-3W LEDs, full spectrum mix) that I'm going to set up in my office. I've got a few ideas for livestock but I wanted to hear the thoughts of others. Have you ever had those crazy ideas pop in your head that make you wonder if anyone has tried it before? I'll try it!

I want this tank to be experimental with a lot of WOW-factor. I have a full machine shop and research lab about 15 feet from me that I can use to create all sorts of solutions to make all sorts of magic happen.

I have a few requirements:

1. It has to be awesome. I really want to experiment with this tank and even commit nano tank heresy to explore new nano tank concepts. My husbandry skills have reached a zen state, so I've got no problem trying something challenging. That said...

2. It needs to be easy. I am doing a PhD and running a company at the same time. Time is in short supply. I'm also in and out of town and will be relying on my office mate to handle feeding and such in my absence. I can handle regular maintenance and such, but nothing crazy like NPS tanks that need to be fed every 12.73 minutes with a 40 gallon sump attached to a 14 gallon display.

3. Minimalist equipment and aquascaping. Basically, limited to a biocube with LEDs and a media tray. Can't do much else outside of that. Don't want anything visually cluttered.

4. Please, don't suggest fish like tangs and other stuff that very obviously shouldn't be in a nano. It'll just attract the usual police and inevitable debate. I don't have patience for that.

My ideas so far:

1. Packed to the nuts with acros, no fish (or maybe a goby or bangaii pair, etc). I've attached a pic of the aquascaping thus far and I feel it lends itself to an acro garden. Lighting isn't really an issue in this tank, just water quality. I have a few tricks to keep the water at SPS levels but I figure that with little to no fish and minimal feeding of the corals, the water should stay pretty good for a while.

2. A RBTA and a pair of clowns. Nothing extraordinary here but lots of wow-factor. An RBTA under the LEDs would look smashing and the hosting behaviour of clowns is very cool to watch. I'd scape the tank to make the nem the central focus point.

3. Acro and NPS mix. Ok, this does bend one of my rules a bit but it's something I've been toying with for a while. In my aqua spacing below there is a wicked overhang. I've been tempted to have a garden of acros growing above, with a bunch of cave dwelling corals hanging upside down under the overhang. This would give a pretty cool dichotomy that would look pretty stunning, especially if I keep the sand bare. Nutrient mitigation would be more challenging but not impossible.

What other ideas do you have?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

i think you might have a bit of a battle keeping your calcium and alkalinity up.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM

I am planning on very regular, sizable water changes (seeing as how the RO system is 10 feet from my desk) to keep nutrients down (I have some tricks here). Also, I have a limitless supply of lab grade chemicals (calcium chloride, etc) and a pile of small peristaltic pumps. Dosing would be super easy for me to set-up if needed. I want to see if I can do without it though.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Peacock mantis??

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
Peacock mantis??
That's an interesting idea. Have been wanting a mantis. Any idea what they like around corals?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Moar I-D-ahs?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Maybe do:

1) Pulsing xenias ( which is hosted by clowns) with a mushroom bottom ( do pick your colours for the tank then look for the corals; I think green corals are the most fluorescent ).

2) a zero reef setup with either a open brain, elegance coral, .... might look neat since it is in a office for others to admire. A rbta might work too but it may move around as well as requiring a sump to increase the minimum water volume to say 30 gallons.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/29/e...-population-1/
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/17/reef-east/
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/11/14/nano-reefs-part-2/
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/22/e...ano-reef-tank/

I believe one can add a few sexy shrimp as well...but that's about it.
You need to change 100% of water once a week... maybe less if you have a sump where you would have rocks, chateo for a pod population.

3) checkout youtube ( nano cube, biocube, etc ) for ideas: eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJ2iTLLYQk&feature=plcp

regs
msjboy